Semi Traditional Archery?

My bow is older than me. It is a Darton SL-50. When I look at new compounds they just look silly to me; they have a ton of junk and gadgets hanging off of them. Also, from what I understand, people don't shoot instinctively at all anymore, even when first learning.

Does anyone agree with me or am I just old fashioned and cheap?
"Thought provoking quote."

Re: Semi Traditional Archery?

Last time I did any even semi serious archery it was with an old recurve I bought used. Nice, if quite heavy draw, bow. I found it much more fun to shoot than the compounds my friends had.

That said, I still didn't find it interesting enough to continue.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I am holding off on buying a compound until they are ready to release the automatic target acquisition software, along with the hands-free mechanical release system.

Or, I might wait for v. II of the software, with the remote control capability which will enable hunters to pursue whitetails 24 hours a day, all the while comfortably ensconced on their couches, watching Tred Barta videos. :lol:

Meanwhile I'll stumble along happily with my six recurves, including three classics of archery from the great 1960s period.

Oh, and I did not just join. For some reason the software makes me register all over again each time I come to this site.

First post, though.

AntiSpin wrote: Oh, and I did not just join. For some reason the software makes me register all over again each time I come to this site.

First post, though.
You got the Groundhog Day membership. :smile:

Welcome anyway. Why don't you intro yourself, and ask one of the mods to straighten out your registration?
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

rolandson wrote:You're old fashioned and cheap.

I have an early Bear Compound...1976ish...it's butt ugly.
I have one of those. I have an older than that whitetail that I learned on as my first compound. What I learned is everything I learned first with traditional is the same but made easier allowing me to feel more and take advantage of the upgrades newer bows grow in to. There are good reasons for all that crap you see on today's bows. Yes, looks silly, but silly makes for a clean kill and less torture to "hit but only wounded" animals. I'm old fashion and I appreciate the first bows and the true talent that first users had to come to. They had no choice but to become absolute artists with these primitive tools. They had to feed their families in ways we take for such granted now.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

My sport of choice is 10 meter air pistol. Zen and the Art of Archery helped improve my scores more than any other book (not withstanding the author's WWII issues). The fellow at the scuba shop where I refill my shooting base tank is an archer. We have some great discussions and I will shoot arrows with him at some point. Would like to try a non-compound bow again. I had a fiberglass one circa 1963 and it was fun, even if primative even for that time

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yesterday: five arrows from 30 yards with my recurve.

A friend of mine made the arrows for me. Three series of pics with narrative can be found starting January 29, 2012, can be found here:

http://pennysworkshop.com/

PIC:

I'm much better with my compound than I am with my recurve, and more consistent. Recurves are hard to master, but some day I plan on it...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack