Re: Any Postal Match Archery interest?

Sounds like fun. How would such a thing work? Would there be different categories for different kinds of bows? thanks
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Any Postal Match Archery interest?

There are a bunch of threads from last year. There are different approaches.

I might suggest two categories: compound and recurve (traditional). There might be two or three ranges, maybe 10, 20, and 30 yards? Pics of targets? One match had folks measure around all the arrows in the group, with the smallest distance being the winner.

I like to shoot, so suggest things?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Any February Postal Match Archery interest?

There seem to be a few archers here.

I shoot in my back yard, but I don't expect everyone to be able to do that.

I'll propose a February archery postal match set of guidelines for the first one of 2013.

Five arrows. (I only have five arrows that are the same...)
Two categories: compound bows and "traditional", meaning recurve, stick, bamboo, long bow, etc.--no pulleys or wires or crossbows.
Three distances: 10, 20, and 30 yards, so three different target pics.
Measure around the perimeter of your five arrow group and post that measurement.

I can shoot in both categories, so I'll end up posting six pics.

We post to this thread? I'll change the title.

How about we finish by the end of February?

Winner receives a hearty hand clasp from Egbert Souse, pronounced "soo-zay" rather than sowsse. ;-)

CDFingers

Re: Any February Postal Match Archery interest?

Ooops. How about we stretch it out to the end of March? Or the middle of the month of March? St. Paddy's Day?

Doesn't matter as long as we all agree. It's not like we're going to run out of arrows...

On edit:

So I shot today. I think I'll only shoot the compound from 30 yards. It's just too brutal to be closer with it. I think I'll only shoot the 20 and 30 yard distances with the recurve. 10 is too close for me.

I think it might be better to shoot five arrows, then measure the best four. I only have four matching arrows for the compound, but I have a total of six I shoot from that side. I'll shoot five, though, for this match.

Once we figure out the ground rules, I'll make a new thread with these things collected succinctly.

CDFingers

Re: Any March Postal Match Archery interest?

This is great that you are trying to get a 2013 archery shoot started.

This is just a suggestion. When shooting 5 arrows at the same spot, some archers will be striking the previous arrows, breaking nocks and tearing feathers off the previous arrows. It happened to me in the beginning after my groups started getting smaller. Repairing them gets old fast and takes time away from practicing.

Maybe consider a single bull and a 5 bull NFAA target, archer’s choice, depending on their experience at 20 yards. You can shoot both compound and traditional at the same distance. Shoot as many ends as you want. Maybe a trial run with 3 ends with 5 arrows per end. Score, pull arrows, repeat. This is a basic Vegas indoor match.

Links for targets at 0.30 each.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/maple-l ... -face.html
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/maple-l ... -face.html

Have fun CDFingers and count me in.

Pointfocus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.

Yeah, when I shot yesterday I was worried at 10 yards. I shot one, then the next one was right next to it. Thought better of a third.

Maybe just five from 20 and five from 30 might be best. Even at 20 the compound is brutal.

Let's let folks chime in.

I don't shoot every day. If I did I'd get a head ache. Maybe every third day.

CDFingers

Maybe next time I shoot I'll do some pics. Maybe that will stimulate interest in a postal match.

Also, many folks suffer from inclement weather, so it might be a few months until folks can get out side.

I've always thought that if I lived in an apartment again, I could shoot in my hallway at ten yards. I've not tried that.

It used to be that I would wait until my wife took a bath. This allowed me full access to the living room, the dining room, the kitchen, the laundry porch, and the back yard. I could put the pets in the back bedroom while my wife was in the bath, then I could get about 40 yards distance. I had to prop open the swinging kitchen door and open the back door. Then I could shoot from the living room 40 yards to the back fence. Not everyone has that option, so I'll bide my time.

CDFingers

Here's one from the recurve:

Here's one from the compound:

I always seem to have a flyer.

The one trouble with a bag full of recycled shrink wrap is that as it wears, the arrows drop down a bit further. The solution, of course, is to hit the friggin' orange juice jug.

Flyers come when I lose my concentration. That's my big battle: my mind, such as it is. Sometimes...squirrel...

CDFingers

Nice shooting CDFingers. What distance? Over the weekend I'll try to shoot both also. Any suggestions on additional variations. I'll help in anyway to start a fire.

You are correct about the "mind". Back in the late 80's Dan Quail was a speaker at a Negro college. He tried to quote their motto. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." He said, "A mind is a terrible thing." My second thought was, maybe he's right

Best wishes,
Point Focus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)

30 yards and no sights. Very impressive. A traditional shooter. It’s magic. I am always amazed of anyone who can do that.

When you get this LGC Archery league going I’ll push from behind and you can pull from the front. I retired in 2005 and started playing with bows. Started getting serious 3 years ago. I have a compound, an Olympic recurve with sights. Then I have 2 old style Ben Pearson’s, a 35 and a 40 Lb., no sights. I do cheat a little. I put a pencil mark on the riser marking the distance to the target.

When I practice, I use the “tall pole in the tent” method. Identify the worst habit that causes the arrow to miss the target the farthest . Work on that until that is buried in the noise of the rest of the bad habits. Identify the next tall pole and so forth. So far it’s working. I really enjoy shooting a bow.

I finally figured out one of the big secrets of learning to shoot a bow. Do not OVER BOW. If you can't practice 25 to 50 shots a day for 2 weeks and want more, you are over bowed. My compound is 36 lb. with the valley at 19. The Olympic is 28 Lbs. and the Ben Pearson's are 35 & 40 Lb.

The next 5 days in S.E. Ohio is going to be rain, snow and cold. Wonderful! I’ll try 20 yards with the 3 types of bow.

Let’s start a fire.

Best wishes,
Pointfocus

From today with the recurve--same distance.

on edit, about practice. I shoot about 35 arrows two or three times a week, mixed between the recurve in my left and the compound in my right. I can feel it from day to day, but I don't get pain. If I start shooting like 60 arrows two to three times a week, likely I get a headache or some other imbalance. If I wait longer than about three days, I do not shoot as well.

I like the times when the first shot is dead on. It happens now and again, but then I spend the rest of the session trying to duplicate that rather than trying to shoot each shot. It's a mental house of fun with mirrors.

CDFingers

I find it tough to understand why more gun people don't play archery.

When I do an off the cuff, cost benefit analysis of guns compared to archery, bow and arrow beats rifles, hand guns, and shot guns--even beats a .22 over the long run. If I don't hit my arrows with other arrows, then I can shoot each arrow, it appears, hundreds of times before I have to get another arrow. But it's likely that I'll just have some of my scuffed up arrows re-fletched at my local archery store. All other things being equal, I should be able to shoot with the arrows I have for years and years.

I can't beat the cost of archery at all. The recurve I'm shooting now, a Ben Pearson Cougar at about 50 pounds, cost me $30 at a local gun show. The rubber fletched, carbon arrows cost about six bucks each at my the local archery store. My bag is recycled shrink wrap bagged at the local feed store for $5. Target is an orange juice jug. I shoot in my back yard, so there is no gas and no range fees.

I get the same buzz shooting arrows I get from shooting guns. But I must say, I spend more time at a gun range session than I do shooting archery, so the gun buzz from a good, aimed fire session lasts longer and is some how deeper.

But I get great exercise from archery, so I'd like to encourage folks, even apartment dwellers, to take it up. A ten foot indoor archery shot feels the same to my back as a 70 yard shot in the woods.

If you spot a bow at a gun show, I'd suggest you snag it and work out the rest later. :think:

CDFingers

Because I shoot both compounds and recurves, I consider using the compound sort of to be like cheating, when I'm doing my part. This is with the compound, aiming inside the handle of the jug.

on edit, that's five arrows. You can see the fletches of the fifth behind the top one.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Because I shoot both compounds and recurves, I consider using the compound sort of to be like cheating, when I'm doing my part. This is with the compound, aiming inside the handle of the jug.

on edit, that's five arrows. You can see the fletches of the fifth behind the top one.

CDFingers
Nice shooting. All the way around.

I don't think I've ever had a full quiver of the same arrows, even while hunting. I guess it matters but I wouldn't know the difference either.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

When I can do that consistently with a recurve, I shall smile.

I've found that periodically I have to lay off shooting because my left forearm just gets too tight. It's been a week, so I may shoot today, but only five on a side. The tightness left as I watched the Giants' Sweep-O de Mayo. I'm cautious. I want to keep shooting. I hold my recurve in my left, so that's where the tightness comes from, another illustration of why compounds I view as sort of cheating.

CDFingers

Sonofagun wrote:
I find it tough to understand why more gun people don't play archery
Because they don't hunt. Real hunters are stealth and appreciate archery. Shooting game from hundreds of yards away is not hunting. In my book anyway.
I never thought of that. What I thought of was my burning desire to feed the "target-directed motor skills" daemon...

CDFingers