Surprised myself

Due to a host of unrelated factors, I'd not been able to shoot for like a dozen days, which is quite rare. Yesterday I got to.

I nocked an arrow on my recurve and stood there looking at the target for two or three minutes, visualizing the whole process through and through until, in my mind, the arrow was in the jug. I kept my focus, drew and fired. Nailed it. I mean totally.

My muscles remember very well, so if my brain does its part each time, I'm good. I like that feeling of having muscle memory.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Surprised myself

Nice!

It's good to learn that there is life after drought. A dozen days is a long time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

Yeah: I only shot ten from each side. I'll do that again on Tuesday, then by Friday I'll be up to fifteen from each side, going every other day.

A man's got to know his limitations. No use hurting myself for a few minutes of pleasure.

CDFingers

I'd been using some clear jugs, but they broke apart after about ten hits, so I put a new one on.

This is the first shot, breaking in a new jug.

Seems I have to go down to the feed store and have a new bag sewn on, as well.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:I'd been using some clear jugs, but they broke apart after about ten hits, so I put a new one on.

This is the first shot, breaking in a new jug.

Seems I have to go down to the feed store and have a new bag sewn on, as well.

CDFingers

That looks like a flu flu. A pretty one at that.

I tried shooting some this spring. It didn't go to well. Target panic is my nemesis.

I used to shoot 3D trad shoots out to 45yds. Then one day it all fell apart. It's been 8 years since my last tournament. It's the only bad habit that I can't break.
I have all but given up the stick and string.

Jim

These are arrows made for me by a friend. They just have big feathers. The flu flu me made for me has four, and they're really big. I have some more pics of them in another thread here, the postal match thread. I have to check out your long bow thread.

Target panic can be beat. This arrow shooting business turns out to be all in the mind--once we have our bodies trained.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:These are arrows made for me by a friend. They just have big feathers. The flu flu me made for me has four, and they're really big. I have some more pics of them in another thread here, the postal match thread. I have to check out your long bow thread.

Target panic can be beat. This arrow shooting business turns out to be all in the mind--once we have our bodies trained.

CDFingers

I have the muscle memory, great form,& an excellent release. The panic comes and goes. Seems like the more I shot the worse it would get. If I laid off shooting for a week or two, it would get better. I wasn't overbowed, usually mid to upper 30's on draw weight. I've read a few books on the subject and a few books that nobody who wants to be a good archer should read. :yes:

Books to avoid at all cost are written by the two Freds. My big mistake was trying to emulate these yahoos. Neither could consistantly hit targets and game.

Jim

Target panic I think comes from a flinch. If I take enough time to visualize the whole shot from draw to the arrow in the target, up until I can see the arrow in the target before I draw, then there is no flinch. Try that. Just stand there with a nocked arrow and visualize your whole shot, picking the spot where the arrow will end up--just run through the whole thing in your mind over and over. Imagine the arrow already there. Since it's already there, you've not made a mistake, you've not flinched. Then you shoot the shot.

Where I get my flyers is I like shooting just a tad more than I like hitting the exact point of aim. If I take my time between each shot I get good groups. The recurve string has a tone, a note upon release, and I love to hear it. Sometimes my body is ready to hear it but my mind is not yet ready to hit the exact point of aim.

More shooting--isn't that always the answer, anyway?

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Target panic I think comes from a flinch. If I take enough time to visualize the whole shot from draw to the arrow in the target, up until I can see the arrow in the target before I draw, then there is no flinch. Try that. Just stand there with a nocked arrow and visualize your whole shot, picking the spot where the arrow will end up--just run through the whole thing in your mind over and over. Imagine the arrow already there. Since it's already there, you've not made a mistake, you've not flinched. Then you shoot the shot.

Where I get my flyers is I like shooting just a tad more than I like hitting the exact point of aim. If I take my time between each shot I get good groups. The recurve string has a tone, a note upon release, and I love to hear it. Sometimes my body is ready to hear it but my mind is not yet ready to hit the exact point of aim.

More shooting--isn't that always the answer, anyway?

CDFingers

Here's the best book I've read on the subject. I don' know the medical term. I have a higher than normal level of anxiety. Most likely the root cause of my target panic. Funny thing, I don't have a problem with wheel bows. I just don't care for them.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Archery+I ... eitem.html

I need to get another copy of it.

i googled target panic. :crazy: Uncle Ted popped up.

Fred Bear cured him. :rolleyes:

Jim

Bear, was one of the worst archers ever.

Gad! Finally one summer school ended yesterday. The other will end next week.

I hadn't shot since last weekend. So, same thing: I stood there with a nocked arrow for a couple minutes visualizing the shot, drew, felt the feathers against my face, and shot: dead center.

That's the lesson: it's all in my mind.

Hella sweet, I tell ya whut.

You archery folks, don't quit.

CDFingers

My last shoot this afternoon before the long dry spell 'till maybe Friday. It's good to have some shooting to look forward to. I shoot more arrows than I do bullets.

CDFingers