3 Finger shooting gloves

I've been using the same one for years and years, and it's beginning to split where the finger cup joins to the straps that lead back to the wrist strap.

A new Dick's Sporting Goods opened in our town, so I took myself down there to try various ones on and pick one up. Much to my surprise they have every thing else for every sport but curling, but no finger gloves. The guy said "everyone's using releases." I said "I'm not."

Any other folks find this out?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: 3 Finger shooting gloves

I'm still using the one that came with my $100 Bear Black Panther compound in 1990. Still using the bow for that matter. I looked into buying a better glove a while back and found the same thing you did. I actually shoot mostly sans glove now. By the time my fingers are sore my arms are too and it's time to hang it up for the day.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I have calluses where my ring finger tips protrude from my glove tips. I suppose it would take me a month to be able to shoot whole sessions without the glove, especially between index and middle.

CDFingers

My trouble is, like with shoes, I want to try them on.

It's hunting season somewhere, and my guys at Deer Creek Archery are there. But when they come back, I'll have them order me what I want because they'll let me try their personal one on so I'll get the correct size.

I've had this one for maybe 15 years, and likely it'll last another year or two. So I've got some time.

I shot yesterday after about a one week hiatus--I'm just working too much in the summer to shoot as often as I'd like--and the glove works fine. The finger cups are all nice and soft from my grungy sweat and what not. It's just the connection from the cups to the wrist band that is wearing out: I use my teeth to straighten it while I'm shooting. Bad habit with repercussions, I guess.

That's my short term plan, hit Deer Creek after they come back from where ever they're hunting.

CDFingers

I'm totally new to archery, and chose a 30# recurve.

Cabela's had a choice of three finger gloves as well as tabs.

I chose the tab, but I tried shooting with nothing yesterday, and I think I prefer shooting with nothing. I shot around 60 arrows, and there was a bit of discomfort toward the end of the session... And afterward it felt like I had very mild burn. Nothing painful, but noticeable.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

Yeah, there's always a tendency to want to whomp on a new bow and shoot it and shoot it. Depending on how old you are, this could be dangerous. I'd advise to go slowly. Since you shot 60 arrows from one side, you're going to be tense on the third day, and you may get a head ache or feel other pain. I'd advise not to shoot for five days. Do some stretches by putting your forearm on top of your head and with the other hand, gently pull your elbow toward your ear. Do the same thing with your arm out in front of you. Don't over stretch. You're just gently pulling the muscles.

Then, on the sixth day, depending on your age (meaning the ability of your body to repair muscles quickly or not) I'd advise to shoot maybe 20, then rest two days, then do it again. Do that for a couple weeks and gauge how your body reacts.

Personally, I find if I shoot from only one side, that is if I exercise only muscles governing the stress from just one side, I end up with pain. Since this is your first bow (there's always another...), I'd advise to pull and slowly release the tension from the bow on the other side. Don't "dry fire" it, it'll break. Just draw it and slowly relax the tension. This will allow even development of your muscles, you'll have better posture, you'll be stronger, and you'll avoid pain and injury.

There are several threads down below where various members discuss this sort of thing.

Archery is a long term sport. Sure, it's a kick to whomp on the bow from time to time, but the human body just can't handle that sort of abuse. My advice--I'm an old fart and I've shot many, many arrows--is to go slowly so you can enjoy this delicious sport for many years to come.

30 pounds is a very good starting weight, I tell ya whut. And recurves rock! Good choice. You may want to increase that in a year--I'm not kidding when I say "a year." It's a long term sport.

Post pics of your bow, eh?

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Yeah, there's always a tendency to want to whomp on a new bow and shoot it and shoot it. Depending on how old you are, this could be dangerous. I'd advise to go slowly. Since you shot 60 arrows from one side, you're going to be tense on the third day, and you may get a head ache or feel other pain. I'd advise not to shoot for five days. Do some stretches by putting your forearm on top of your head and with the other hand, gently pull your elbow toward your ear. Do the same thing with your arm out in front of you. Don't over stretch. You're just gently pulling the muscles.

Then, on the sixth day, depending on your age (meaning the ability of your body to repair muscles quickly or not) I'd advise to shoot maybe 20, then rest two days, then do it again. Do that for a couple weeks and gauge how your body reacts.

Personally, I find if I shoot from only one side, that is if I exercise only muscles governing the stress from just one side, I end up with pain. Since this is your first bow (there's always another...), I'd advise to pull and slowly release the tension from the bow on the other side. Don't "dry fire" it, it'll break. Just draw it and slowly relax the tension. This will allow even development of your muscles, you'll have better posture, you'll be stronger, and you'll avoid pain and injury.

There are several threads down below where various members discuss this sort of thing.

Archery is a long term sport. Sure, it's a kick to whomp on the bow from time to time, but the human body just can't handle that sort of abuse. My advice--I'm an old fart and I've shot many, many arrows--is to go slowly so you can enjoy this delicious sport for many years to come.

30 pounds is a very good starting weight, I tell ya whut. And recurves rock! Good choice. You may want to increase that in a year--I'm not kidding when I say "a year." It's a long term sport.

Post pics of your bow, eh?

CDFingers
These are great tips. I have a tendency to become fully immersed in activities... So the warnings are not falling on deaf ears.

I will definitely make a habit of working the opposite and opposing muscles. Made the mistake of not doing that back when I was rock and ice climbing/guiding. Took a long time to rebalance!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

New 3 finger glove!

Got a new shooting glove today. The old one is still fine, but it's starting to crack, as I said above. So I went down to my local archery shoppe, Deer Creek Archery, and picked up this one, American-made, Neet brand, for twelve bucks.

That's a chain off one of the old lumber flumes up the hill from us and a railroad spike from the narrow gauge line they used to haul lumber. The CalTrans folks were widening the road and were going to chuck the whole mess out, so we snagged a small bit just to have. It dates back about 120 years. We figured it would be sad to lose that little bit of history, so there it sits on our porch.

CDFingers