Shooting different arrows now w/ pics

Many pics exist in this forum of the arrows I shoot from my recurve, the yellow feathered ones, and from my compound, the motley crew of mis matched ones, some aluminum, some carbon, all with different fletchings.

Yesterday I ran an experiment: I shot some of the motley ones in the recurve.

On that day I was shooting well, so I feared that I'd wreck one of my yellow feathered ones. After the first group of five where I got a nice tight group, I got the arrows then decided to shoot the "other" ones. These are carbon, but they're an inch longer. Both bows have a "flipper" arrow rest:

So the only thing I changed was the type of arrows. So I shot, and I got the same sized group, but it was two inches to the left.

I will run more experiments to see if this was just a fluke or whether there's something to it.

Anyone have any solid data, personal experience, with this?

CDFingers
Last edited by CDFingers on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Shooting different arrows

Nah: I shot the "other" arrows first yesterday, and I shot normal groups in the normal spot. Then I shot with the yellow feathered arrows and got the same. I'll mess with this for another couple weeks because I can. Maybe I'll get different data. The carbon shafts are the same diameter, but the plastic flights ones are about an inch longer. Not much difference, it appears.

CDFingers

Re: Shooting different arrows now w/ pics

This time I limited my variety to just two lengths, both carbon. The ones below with the plastic fletches are one inch longer than the ones with yellow feathers. The last long one I shot can be seen just to the right of center, under the yellow ones--I'd already begun to correct for the difference in how they shoot. You can see I'm used to shooting the yellow ones with this recurve.

I've done this several times now, and I have solid proof that different types and lengths of arrows shoot differently. Duh. So now I want to memorize the characteristics of each of my arrows with each bow so I can automatically correct the aim for each arrow.

That'll keep me busy for a while.

CDFingers