Re: Archery Activity

Something interesting about this activity concerned the use of plates. I'd used plastic jugs mainly to keep most of the arrows sticking straight out, minimizing strikes by other arrows. It worked, and I just kept using jugs as targets.

At a certain moment, the orange juice folks started using clear plastic instead of white, and this change made it more brittle somehow. Where before I could use a jug for about a month before it turned to mush, with the clear they would only last a few sessions until they shattered into pieces.

So, these plates are cool: the first strike drives the arrow into the bag. There's compression of the shrink wrap, then rebounding. This results in the first strike arrow pushing the plate out from the bag a couple inches. This serves to keep the arrows straight out. Sweet. In case I can't get white jugs anymore, there are plates.

The second interesting thing about plates is over time I can watch my patterns, my groupings. So, below, you can see some groupings that arouse since the beginning of this Archery Activity. So now I can use these to focus on particular error patterns. I might improve my shots. Good activity with good for me discoveries.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

You triggered a thought. Let's do a group analysis of your shots. Try this link. It shows your group center plus other stuff.

http://www.tampereenjousiampujat.net/arrowmaster/

It's an interesting program from Finland, I think? Many have tried to get the formulas from the author. No luck.

The main problem is finding an image conversion software that goes from JPG to CSV.
I tried again today to analyze your target. I got as far as the paper plate with the arrow holes. Still couldn’t find an image conversion program.

You may know of others.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.
Attachments
CDFingers paper plate arrow shot pattern
CDFingers paper plate arrow shot pattern
pattern1_zps71ce4a36[1].jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 4145 times

The site appears to look at arrows and their differences. It sure would be neat to be able to transfer that image somehow.

You've seen my motley crew of arrows. The different types each fly differently. I'm trying to develop the awareness to change my point of aim for each different arrow, but it's going slowly. I think I shoot best when I use the same kind of arrows, but I don't have that many matching, and I don't feel like walking that 27 yards to the bag all the time, so I just shoot the motley crew, trying to decide how each arrow will fly. I've got the two aluminum arrows down: they drop about 8 inches lower than my carbon ones, so I've learned to correct for those. The carbon ones are different. I've gone so far as to ensure that all the heads weigh the same, so now I'm figuring how to correct.

CDFingers

As you may recall, I shoot from both sides: recurve held in my left, compound in my right. I think this paper plate thing is neat, but both my sides are represented in these pics. So I'm going to try and see if I can isolate each side by hanging two plates, one for each side. I'll let the holes appear for a while. Maybe patterns will emerge, maybe not.

I love experiments.

CDFingers

A most excellent idea. The "Arrow Master" program has a provision for manually entering the strikes. The really neat thing is it calculates the group center. It also has analysis for how Galician the bell shaped curve is.
I will try to post an example by taking a screen pict. of my screen. Then photoshop it to death!
I will be posting later this evening my adventurers today shooting outdoors with a peep sight on the recurve in 48 degree weather. (OOps, exceeded the maximun 14 words in a sentence, Winston Churchill)

Pointfocus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)

Spring Fever

This morning the temp was 48F. After -8 degrees below zero two weeks ago spring fever hit me. It's time to shoot outdoors. Grabbed my archery equipment and set up. Target is a 8" paper plate held to the bag with long pins from the sewing section at wallyworld. The orange button is available at gun stores in the target section. Really stands out at distance.

I decided to put the Cartel peep sight on my recurve and see how the arrows group at 10 meters. The first group of six yielded one bag hit and the rest were in the wood. I adjusted the plunger position several times until the windage looked close. Then I adjusted the sight (vertical) until that looked ok. Then shot about 20 arrows refining my release and anchor. Then started to stick them side by side then broke a nock when I hit it with another arrow.

Backed up to 15 meters and the groups were a little left of center and low. Adjusted the sight elevation for the longer distance drop and backed the plunger out again.

Then I just started getting into it when it started raining. Grabbed the camera, took two pictures and called it quits.

My plan was to fine tune the bow for distance shooting more than 14 feet with the peep sight then go traditional or intuitive.

Oh well, next time. There are only a couple of months to go for good weather.

Have fun

Pointfocus
Last edited by Pointfocus on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attachments
Tgt 15 meter grouping, shot with peep sight. Orange dot 1 inch Dia.
Tgt 15 meter grouping, shot with peep sight. Orange dot 1 inch Dia.
Tgt shot from 15 meters, 6 arrows
Tgt shot from 15 meters, 6 arrows

Pointfocus wrote:Spring Fever

This morning the temp was 48F. After -8 degrees below zero two weeks ago spring fever hit me. It's time to shoot outdoors. Grabbed my archery equipment and set up. Target is a 8" paper plate held to the bag with long pins from the sewing section at wallyworld. The orange button is available at gun stores in the target section. Really stands out at distance.

I decided to put the Cartel peep sight on my recurve and see how the arrows group at 10 meters. The first group of six yielded one bag hit and the rest were in the wood. I adjusted the plunger position several times until the windage looked close. Then I adjusted the sight (vertical) until that looked ok. Then shot about 20 arrows refining my release and anchor. Then started to stick them side then broke a nock when I hit it with another arrow.

Backed up to 15 meters and the groups were a little left of center and low. Adjusted the sight elevation for the longer distance drop and backed the plunger out again.

Then I just started getting into it when it started raining. Grabbed the camera, took two pictures and called it quits.

My plan was to fine tune the bow for distance shooting more than 14 feet with the peep sight then go traditional or intuitive.

Oh well, next time. There are only a couple of months to go for good weather.

Have fun

Pointfocus
That is one fine looking structure.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Finally the rain has come to northern California! I totally totally love it, am glad for it, we need it, and I would not trade it for a pair of solid gold unicorn socks, but, I don't like to stand outside getting wet so I can shoot arrows.

So I invented another game, called, "What if?"

What if I had to/needed to/wanted to shoot under strange circumstances?

So I put my bag in the garage. From inside my back door, there is a pecan tree between the garage and the back door, but it does not completely cut off a straight line into the garage. It does, however, leave only an eighteen inch narrow but tall window between the trunk and the edge of the garage door opening. I'm thinking "ah: like those arrow windows in castles."

I hit neither the tree nor the edge of the garage door. Had I missed the bag, the arrow would have been turned loose inside my garage at about 200 feet per second. Did not miss. It was a fun shoot: the range was only about twenty yards, 2/3 of what I usually shoot, but the mitigating circumstances of the tree and door jamb and my reloading bench made for a juicy challenge. Most enjoyable.

"I shoot, therefore I am."

CDFingers

Pointfocus wrote:You triggered a thought. Let's do a group analysis of your shots. Try this link. It shows your group center plus other stuff.

http://www.tampereenjousiampujat.net/arrowmaster/

It's an interesting program from Finland, I think? Many have tried to get the formulas from the author. No luck.

The main problem is finding an image conversion software that goes from JPG to CSV.
I tried again today to analyze your target. I got as far as the paper plate with the arrow holes. Still couldn’t find an image conversion program.

You may know of others.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
Looks like you like to drop to the left a little early. See that straight line? Actually I see a pair of nice ...never mind. Try this. Stay focused on following thru. Just like shooting a basket ball or anything else I guess. It's a tell tail most of the time. At the end of your follow thru, notice where you are and at what point your adjusting back. It happens fast so follow thru as long as you can. I hope I'm making sense. Once you identify the bad pattern focus on zeroing it in making it shorter and shorter. Once you eliminate it... dead fucking nuts every shot. Pretty soon you don't even have to look down your sites. The body memory and distance judgment ability will be enough. I don't know, Im just describing my thought process thru the motions. This would be for begginers, sorry. It's too late for a bunch of old fucks like us... :roflmao:
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead