Back in it

The rhythms of my archery do not follow the various hunting seasons. Rather, these rhythms are more locally centered. Depending on visitors and weather, my practice changes. July/August seems to be the months when it gets really hot and lots of visitors visit. Archery became a tad inconvenient, so I laid off. A couple weeks ago I got back in.

Now, I'd been becoming bored with the compound bow. After all this time, it's quite easy for me to operate it and be quite accurate with it. I shoot holding it in my right hand. I shoot the recurve by holding it in my left hand. The compound had become less than challenging, so I thought I'd just lay it down and stay with the recurve. Because I was driven to use both hands, both sides, through a search for balance of exercise in my body, I figured I'd just draw and relax the recurve holding it in my right. I suppose that would have worked.

I realized, though, that I'd developed a rather specialized skill set for that compound. I reasoned it would be non optimal to let those skills seep away into history. So yesterday I added the compound back into my routine. I'm still shooting at half distance. There are two reasons. One is I don't want to miss the bag. :crazy: And the second is shade--there's a really nice shady spot there.

At such a close distance my groups are good, so I've been exclusively using aluminum arrows. I have like five that I haven't wrecked yet, left over from back in the day, so I shoot them then go get them and shoot again for 10 on each side. I figure at this close distance--about 13 or 14 yards--sooner or later I'll wreck one. So I'm keeping my carbons for the longer range. I figure a couple more weeks and I'll go back to the steps. I still have too many people inside for me to shoot that long one from the living room. But I'm waiting for the time.

Keep shooting.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack