Crossbows?

Due to my recent extended dry spell venison wise I have the go ahead to add a crossbow to the tool kit. I am in, fact being, encouraged to do so. :D From what I understand it should add 25 yards or so to my range during archery season. Also, my twenty five year old Bear compound is rather large for hauling into tree stands, most of which where I hunt have shooting bars and arm rests.

I know close to nothing about them right now. I think compact and light are my major considerations at this point. I'm not the kind of person who likes buying and trying. I try hard to buy once, cry once and get it right. I'm 6'4" so it needs good LOP. Any suggestions? Anything to avoid?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Crossbows?

Mason wrote:Due to my recent extended dry spell venison wise I have the go ahead to add a crossbow to the tool kit. I am in, fact being, encouraged to do so. :D From what I understand it should add 25 yards or so to my range during archery season. Also, my twenty five year old Bear compound is rather large for hauling into tree stands, most of which where I hunt have shooting bars and arm rests.

I know close to nothing about them right now. I think compact and light are my major considerations at this point. I'm not the kind of person who likes buying and trying. I try hard to buy once, cry once and get it right. I'm 6'4" so it needs good LOP. Any suggestions? Anything to avoid?
My brother just got into this so he has a couple high end ones let me get the names and I'll get back to you.

He told me about one on the market where if you squeeze the trigger with the safety on it sets the trigger and fires when you take the safe off. This you want to avoid.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Thank you Paladin and brother! I handled a couple of Excalibers today, while not small, they are light and comparatively simple compared to compounds.

I'm glad to have the tip on the bad TenPoint trigger because the overall fit and LOP on those felt generally the best of all that I handled today.

I have some reading and thinking to do.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Excaliber will get around $1000 of Mr. Masons money in the next couple of months. I just have to decide on model. :)

Thanks again brother of Paladin. Thanks for the call Paladin. :)

-John Cleese