Re: POSTAL MATCH No. 2 -- DETAILS

Also - question about practice:

Is shooting a course of fire just to see how we do (say, without timing ourselves) allowed, or is that sort of practice against the spirit of the competition? After last time's bullseye/sight annoyance, I'd like to spend some time getting zen with the targets first.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:Also - question about practice:

Is shooting a course of fire just to see how we do (say, without timing ourselves) allowed, or is that sort of practice against the spirit of the competition? After last time's bullseye/sight annoyance, I'd like to spend some time getting zen with the targets first.
I know from your earlier entries that you are an honorable competitior, so this explanation is purely for the purpose of clarification.

You can practice as much as you want, including running through the exact course of fire. The rule si this, though. You are on your honor to decide when practice is over. And then you shoot the match. You don't pick the best scores from your practice shoots.

And thanks for adding the other downloads.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

How can one get a feeling of accomplishment knowing one didn't earn it?

I know, that's a largely philosophical and rhetorical question. I just don't see how anyone can get a feeling of accomplishment by cheating. They know they aren't that good, and nothing will change that.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote:How can one get a feeling of accomplishment knowing one didn't earn it?

I know, that's a largely philosophical and rhetorical question. I just don't see how anyone can get a feeling of accomplishment by cheating. They know they aren't that good, and nothing will change that.
You can't, and I totally agree with your point.

I did not intend to imply that anyone here has or would cheat. I don't believe that's the case. I was just throwing in some standard postal-match boilerplate to clarify the issue of practice vs the official match shoot.

I'd kind of like to see more divisions (iron vs red dot, semi vs revolver), but I also don't want a proliferation of "Everyone wins" either.

Since I got no practice round in, I hung a 1 1/3" black circle 10 yards from my desk, so's I can stare at it and get zen with how tiny it looks.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:Since I got no practice round in, I hung a 1 1/3" black circle 10 yards from my desk, so's I can stare at it and get zen with how tiny it looks.
Your post brought to mind an interesting article by Allen Fulford in the Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol.

Sight Picture Exercises

"Here's a trick that my old buddy Bill Blankenship taught me years ago. He would draw a vertical line on the wall and cross it with a horizontal line. Holding up the pistol toward the lines, he would study the movement of the pistol on each. He would concentrate on vertical movement for a while, and then on horizontal movement for a while. I have found that through deep concentration and study of my movements, I have been able to mentally picture my arc of movement, kind of like a circle, and am getting it smaller and smaller. I recommend this technique for your training program. Exercises like this will carry over and help you during a match.

If I am experiencing movement as I hold the pistol, and it doesn't matter if it is a little or lot, and the sights move off the center off the target, I've found that if I GENTLY try to bring it back in rather than a quick jerky movement, that is gently try to FLOW with the movement instead of being tense and making jerky correction, my wobble is able to settle down. And even if it does not, I am still able to break a better shot this way."

fknauss wrote:I'd kind of like to see more divisions (iron vs red dot, semi vs revolver), but I also don't want a proliferation of "Everyone wins" either.

Since I got no practice round in, I hung a 1 1/3" black circle 10 yards from my desk, so's I can stare at it and get zen with how tiny it looks.
Trust me, it's a lot tinier when you are shooting at it!
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

So, this is a tough challenge. I know my scores are going to be lower than last time round. So if you're not competing because it's too tough, go shoot it anyways. Even if you get no points on the 15 yard targets (because those dots are TINY), there's still points to be had at seven yards.

I'm going to practice a bit more, but I'm not going to have as much time for it as I'd like.

Join!

Yes, the 2" circles seem tiny at 15 yds, and it's that appearance that makes hitting them seem so daunting.

But their appearance is more illusion than reality. You can hit them. You have hit them. In the past, though, you had a bit more visual aid in the form of surrounding circles.

In fact, the 2" circles are only slightly smaller than the the entire black area on a B3 target. They are larger than the X ring + the 10 ring on a B3, and many of the competitors in the last match shot plenty of 10s and Xs.

It's a matter of concentration, of understanding that they're far from impossibly small -- and, therefore, of relaxing, forgetting about the score, and not being intimidated.

Try to visualize them as target centers. Draw mental circles around them. Start with a deep breath. Exhale. Take another and hold it. Let your wobble settle, and sometime between three and maybe nine seconds break the shot. But don't force it. If the wobble is increasing, start over.

These matches are supposed to be fun. Treat them as a personal challenge and as a form of practice. Take it a shot at a time.

Enjoy. Don't fret. Scores don't matter. Getting out there and shooting each match as well as you can is all that counts.

And Good on Ya, Merle for shooting the match!

I'm not going to warm up--when I shoot the match, it will be from shot one.

I don't see any point in "warming up." I mean, yeah, if I want to "win" the match. But, no, if I'm going to test myself in the way I need to be tested.

I will make four more .45LC rounds to shoot this with--I made 44 for this match (d'oh: thought it was a 40 round match w/o reading the match). 8.3 gr Unique under 255 gr moly coated LRNFP. They're the last of a box of 500, and if'n I don't use 'em up, I can't buy another box. Well, that's my own game I play to limit the flotsam and jetsam in my reloading area/garage.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Merle wrote:I don't warm up either - might be too discouraging! :sarcasm: All I do is shoot a couple of rounds at a small "sighter" target to see where I am hitting today, and have at it. :beer2:
Lol!

Some competitors go through a 10-15 shot warm up at about seven yards to see where they're eyes/brain are "aiming" that day. The other purpose is checking their sights.

There are lots of different warm-up routines you can find on various shooting sites. I don't do them either.

One thing I try to remember to do, though, is a brief and very light physical warm up -- stretches, deep breaths, raising and lowering pistol a few times, etc. -- just to relax, settle in, and get some blood into the shoulder and arm muscles.

I then shoot a few rounds, usually at 15 yds, to recheck my red-dot, mainly for my own peace of mind. That's about it for me.