Compounds seek Olympic OK

Since I shoot both compound and recurve, I found this article very interesting. Here are the last four graphs of a fairly long article.
Even if the IOC decides compound archery is distinct and physically rigorous enough to qualify as a new event, cost also weighs on its decision. Each additional event adds to the cost of hosting the Games. The total cost of this year’s Games may exceed the IOC’s projected $13.2-billion price tag.
The biggest hurdle the sport faces may be accessibility, however. Compound archery is more popular in Western countries than Asia, Africa and Oceania, where the technology is less readily available. This can put some countries at a competitive advantage as they benefit from a wider athlete pool that’s been able to train and compete using compound bows. “Globally, there are three competitive compound archers for every seven competitive recurve archers,” says Sheri Rhodes, national events manager of USA Archery, the American organization affiliated with World Archery. “Yet, among our members there are four compound archers for every six recurve archers.”
World Archery and USA Archery are working to give compound archery the best possible shot of becoming a new Olympic event, which Wells and Rhodes both predict could happen as early as 2024. Internationally, World Archery is working to increase the compound archery athlete pool by attracting more women to the sport, mainly by equalizing male and female prize money at competitions and hosting more international competitions.
“It’s up to us to make sure compound archery is worthy of being in the Olympic Games,” Wells says. “If we succeed, that will mean more medals for archers of all kinds, and more medals looks good for everyone.”
link:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... inclusion/

Those of you who shoot both know there's a difference. But I must confess: I've only shot a 70 meters a few times in my life! That's far!

What do you think? Should compounds be OK'd for Olympic use, not against recurves, but in a separate category?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack