Re: So, I signed up for a class

Looks like fun
I shot years ago. Had a PSE Cougar. It just came out when I bought it so bowiets will know what era it was.
Ahot hunting league a couple years. Had a blast. Dont know why I quit. I did sell the bow to a buddy of mine.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:Most excellent! You'll find much enjoyment, less hassle, and lower costs when compared to firearms. Really fun, but in a different, more physical way.

CDFingers
One could debate lower cost.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I'm thinking ammo vs arrows. Now, anyone can go out and spend a grand on a bow. My recurve was $35 used at a gun show. There's always ways to spend hella bucks on any hobby. In archery it will come down to you and your brain, your skills, your consistency. Truth be told, I'm better with my bow than I am with my handguns. This comes down to me playing archery twice a week and handguns once a month.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

HuckleberryFun wrote:You will also be Hunger Games ready.
True. One thing real fun is throwing an empty plastic jug up in the air and shooting it. I use a froo froo (floo floo) arrow with yuge feathers that slows down fast after about twenty yards. Otherwise I'd have to schlep to the next county to retrieve misses. Not that I ever miss. :roflmao:

CDFingers

A person can even shoot indoors, like down a hall. As long as you have a board against the wall, you don't hurt the wall. Trouble is if you're fairly tall, you might touch the ceiling with the bow as you draw. Remedy indoors, for apartment folks, is to kneel on one knee. Same draw behavior. Most important thing is frequent practice. You will work up to stronger and stronger bows till you're at target strength, which is around 50 lbs at your draw, plus or minus 5.

CDFingers

Watch a few youtube vids, stand about ten feet away from the bag, and have at it. Stay close to the bag for a few weeks, then move back two steps a week. Try three finger glove with one finger above and two below the arrow.

CDFingers

I've been playing archery a long time. I have separated all the moves and holds of an archery shot from nocking to release. I work on only one of those each time. To get the basics of "all the moves," you can watch this old fart play kyudo.

Our shooting is different, of course, but you can see the steps from the nock to the draw. Nocking should trigger the focus. As you draw, note all the contact points of your body to the equipment. The holding hand is important--all the pressure hand against the bow should be the same. This is so the bow is not pressured one way or the other during release. The release hand should come straight back then make a little J behind the head. Follow through is important to keep the arrows from going high--if they hit high, follow through was likely unclean.

It's too hard to work on more than one thing at a time for me. Your mileage may vary. The human mind is predisposed to collect target-directed motor skills. Let it flow. Of course it takes quite a while to get to the flow, but it will come.

CDFingers

Recurves are challenging. So many ways to spend money on them from carbon arrows to expensive sights, you name it. Went through a bunch with my oldest son who used to shoot in the Nationals in Miami Ohio (JOAD). these are dedicated folks as well. My son's chest muscles were gigantic from shooting hundreds of arrows several times per week.

Inquisitor wrote:I have both.
You'll find each shoots differently. So I shoot my aluminum ones in a row and the carbon ones in a row. I find the aluminum ones travel more slowly, accelerate out of the bow a bit slower. They can take hits by other arrows and not require rejection. But if you nick a carbon arrow, I recommend salvaging the parts from it and then throw away the shaft. Damaged carbon arrows can explode upon release. Maybe the hand gets carbon in it--not good. They're expensive, but cheaper than an ER visit.

CDFingers