Used a release for the first time

I've been playing archery since I was five. I started with my fingers and have been fingering my fletches and nocks since then.

Most indoor ranges have guns for use. Some rent, others include the use of guns with a membership. That's how it is with this one, and they have an archery range. They have bows. So I went down to do some target shooting with my MkII and decided to find out about releases. I shot Bear Cruzers, both right and left hand at 50 pounds, and I used a release for the very first time.

The first arrow I tried to draw released at about 45 degrees vertical, bounced off the ceiling, and landed at my feet. "Well," I says. "Not the correct technique, I wager." Luckily I was the only guy on the archery range. Once I figured out how to place my thumb behind the trigger during the draw, I was successful.

This was also the first time I'd ever used sights, also. There's a little peep on the string you put your eye next to, and that lines up with a pin in a florescent green ring--pins alternate between yellow and red. Four pins stand for ten, twenty, thirty, and forty yards. This aperture was pretty big, about 1/8 inch, but I understand there are different sizes, down to 1/64th.

Well, OK. That was interesting. I'll need to do it a few more times, but it's a helluva lot easier than using fingers. Not near as fun for me. It was weird shooting a compound held in my left, as I always shoot my recurve from that hand. The other side felt much more natural. I'm not sure i'll make the change. If I get another compound, though, I'll have to do it, as new compounds are so short that at full draw the apex of the triangle made by the string and a line between the cams is so acute that it could crush my fingers. It would force the use of a release.

I'll do it a few more times to see what's what. I'm glad I did it, though. Now I know a few more things.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack