J E Brown ring any bells?

I'm considering a very nice flintlock officer's fusil in 16 bore. Think of a shorty Brown Bess and you'll have a pretty good picture.

The lock plate is engraved with J E Brown, the maker (modern). He is not the same person as Jackie Brown, another contemporary builder of muzzleloaders. Google gives very little info. He apparently did some work for Track of the Wolf, building photo samples of their kits and contributing to the design of some of them.

Anybody here know anything about him?

Re: J E Brown ring any bells?

I haven't heard of him but from what I know of track is if someone makes one of their kits and submits pics that they like they will use them in their catalog. They have a lot of hobbiests that buy kits from them and sell the the finnished gun on consignment through them just to get their name recognition. Is there any mention of the parts used?
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Looks like a fairly nice off-the-shelf Brown Bess lock. The rest of the hardware is likely from wherever, but modified a bit here and there. There's a "wedding ring" at the breech and the barrel is 16 bore rather than .75, so that's not a standard part. The whole job is quite well done.

I've got a tiny bit of info about the maker, but I'll be making the decision based on the quality of the piece rather than the name.

Sounds like the kind of piece I'd like to have but can't afford. I found plans for a 20 gauge NWTerritories trade gun (similar to about 1810) the other day and was in major gear lust mode for awhile.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

As far as smooth bores go I have this lust to tackle a Fusil De Chasse kit from TOW, a fin. An elegant weapon and extremely significant historically. Smooth bores have had more of an impact on our history than the peace maker and the winchester levers ever had combined.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw