How da ya fix my Howdah?

I've got a Pedersoli Howdah pistol 20x20. It's big beautiful and bodacious and never freakin' ignites. I've been using Remington and CCI #11 caps w/ 30-50gr FFF 777 under a patched 60 cal ball. Terrible ignition. I noticed that the flash channels in the nipples were longer and narrower than on my BP revolvers, so I took the gun to a gunsmith and asked him about reaming them out. He said they were probably not the issue and that he didn't have tools to drill nipples out in any case. I can't find anyone who carries replacement nipples for Pedersoli.

What should I do? I haven't yet tried holy black instead of 777, but would it make any difference anyway? Can anyone help me get this baby working?

--T

Re: How da ya fix my Howdah?

How old is the 777? Black powder will ignite better but you must be having some other problems. When you are at the range put a cap on and make sure it does'nt have a charge put a piece of paper on top of the muzzle and pop the cap, if the paper doesn't fly off the muzzle from the cap you have some kind of obstruction. Google Track of the Wolf and search their site I would think they would have after market nipples that would fit and give a hotter spark. Also don't use real wet patch lube.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I have a Lyman Plains rifle and with the factory nipple it would occasionally fail to fire, I purchased an after market nipple from TOW that was advertised as a hotter nipple and it has worked much better. The fake black powder ignites at a much higher temp thats why it can be displayed on the shelf at stores, real black must be kept out of sight in a "powder magazine" of some sorts and you have to ask for it. I believe black ignites at a little over 500 deg. and the fake stuff at about 1000. Thats also why the fake stuff won't work in flinters.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Well, it passed the paper-over-the-muzzle test. It was very responsible of you to recommend that I do so at the range. Rest assured I would never have tested it in the back yard. . .

Anyway, I guess the next step is to get some real black powder and see if that lower ignition temp makes the difference.

Thanks for the info. I just blew my fun fund on my other addiction (nerdy card games and RPG's) so it may be a bit before I buy powder and get back with results. But rest assured I will bend your ear (ok, eye) when I do.

--T