Well now I've done it! The Dark Side..

Since it was about the only damned thing left on the shelves at Cabela's this weekend... AND on sale, I just couldn't resist myself. Seems like too much fun!

Now, if I could only find some damn percussion caps so I can try the thing out.. Even the BP stuff is getting scarce around these parts.

People really have lost their damned minds I tell ya.
Brian in StL

Re: Well now I've done it! The Dark Side..

Well I finally got to try out my BP revolver('s - I've since added on before I even got to shoot the 1st!)

Had a get-together with some friends Saturday, lovely day, and lucky our host was a friend of mine who's family own a large quarry in St. Louis, where we can just go onto the mine property and do some plinking.

On the table are 4 guns I haven't been able to shoot yet - My Enfield .22 trainer, the Colt Woodsman 2nd series, and my 2 black powder "1850 Navy" replicas - in steel and brass frames.
Friends brought out a Remington single-shot .22, a Ruger MKII and Colt 1911 dated 1914.

Loading up the revolvers was quite a process as expected. My flask has a nozzle that holds about 22 grains so that's what I loaded each one up with. Powder > dry lubed wad > .451 ball > bore butter.

The brass framed "Confederate" was spot-on accurate with the 22gr load at about 20 yards. Same load in the steel frame Navy and it was shooting pretty high. perhaps 8-10 inches higher than the brass framed revolver. I was surprised at the big difference.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the percussion caps exploding and blowing metal shards all over the place. I had read about them possibly falling out and fouling up the cylinder but no one mentioned metal shards in my hand!

Here's a vidjya for your pleasure:
[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/ns58P-xkGSY[/youtu_be]

The Colt Woodsman was a treat! That's going to get a lot of use (or until my .22 stash runs out).
The Enfield .22 was a bit sloppy and I'm going to have to do some bench resting testing to figure out where those are going. I have a feeling that 20 yards is just too close for the sights.

We ended the day with some rimfire exploding targets... those jobs where ya mix up the powders and fill these plastic cups and stick them up.
Min distance 25 yards so we back up a few paces.. and... dang, trying to hit this little silver-dollar sized thing with irons might take some time!

I managed to hit one with the Woodsman pistol but the velocity apparently wasn't enough to set it off..
My buddy finally made a hit with his Remington rifle and KABLOOEY!!!

Brian in StL