Re: Flintlock

Great find! I was at the range today, and one of the guys came up to the range officer and said "I want to shoot my 50 caliber on the pistol range" The range officer and I looked at each other, both wondering why the hell this guy would want to shoot a 50 BMG on the pistol range, didn't seem exactly sporting, when he said. OH! Meant my black powder 50 cal! :laugh:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Flintlock

Looks like the rear sight was just seated too far right. Couple love taps and she should be dead on.

Fascinating thing, firing a flint. The delay is unnerving and the particulates blowing back is new as well.

Fun though.

I learned real quick that I had to hold steady a lot longer when shooting my flintlock. Helped with shooting my other rifles. Tried dove hunting with my Borwn Bess musket once. Now that was a trip. :crockett:
There is a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. One problem is you have to miss the ground accidentally. - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Inquisitor wrote:Yeah, priming took some experimenting. I had read about less powder/far from touch hole. In practice, it took tinkering :)
On American Longrifles there was a group that did a test on flinters. They had very sophisticated camera equipment and a "slave" lock. the distance was not important to the side but the pile in the pan must be below the vent and the vent must be in the middle of the pan and when you look at the side of the pan the vent should look like a setting sun. Also you should maintain a space in the vent hole from the hole to the main charge so it does not act as a fuse when firing. My own experimenting has prooved to me anyways that 3fg is best for my uses both priming and main charge.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Inquisitor wrote:Yeah, when I found holy black last year, I got some priming powder as well.
A little history on 4f, it was not made and marketed till 1920, I have found 3fg is as good as 4f, for hunting I find 3fg superior because 4f is not graphite coated, it acts as a desicant and needs to be changed in 30 min intervals other wise it turns into black sludge. My flintlock ignites as fast as my Lyman plains rifle percussion.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw