1858 troubles

So, I thought I would ask here before check elsewhere. Googlefu isn't finding much that will help.

I'm having a problem with my 1858, it's the Pietta brand one. The hammer will not fully lock back. It will still come forward with enough ooomph to set off the percussion cap, but not enough to see down the sighting groove. Which makes aiming a bit of a pain, as you can imagine.

Is this just a feature of the revolver, or is it something wrong with the internals? Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give.
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Re: 1858 troubles

Does it do that on all 6 cylinders? If not, then when you take it apart you'll find one of the teeth on the cylinder has a nick or gouge in it. A fine file will take care of it/them.

If it does it on all six, then you'll have to open it up to see if there is damaged metal.

Apart, pics might help folks here who know more, to help.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I broke it down again last night, it looks like the tip of the sear has been worn down. It's kind of hard to see when it's disassembled, as the wearing is uniform and it locks together when I assemble it in my hands. It's a second hand pistol that's probably about 20 years old, so I really should have expected this before hand.

Thanks for the help Fukshot! Very much appreciated.
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Just saw this old thread, but if you want to repair it, parts are usually available at Dixie Gun Works.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.