Re: red dot type scopes

I've been going back and forth in my opinion of them on shotguns and muzzleloaders. Aside from the fact the battery could die, the dot is going to cover up a significant portion of a target/deer at 100 yards and even worse should you want to shoot further.

I think the only style I would concider is the kind that do not come as a 1 piece mount. They are normally aluminum mounts/ring and if you strip it you might as throw the whole thing in the trash. I'd get the kind that is 30mm and put your own rings on it (detachable).

If you want illuminated optics, I would be leaning towards a rifle scope with an illuminated reticle. And I'd stay far far away from Mueller.

Why do you say that about Mueller? I have a number of their scopes, albeit mounted on rimfire rifles, and have found them to be of excellent value for the money -- clear optics to the edge of the field, bright, and hold zero very well.

Is your experience on larger calibers? If so, what went wrong.

Bear in mind that the cheaper red dots will indeed do what you're talking about- a 4 or 5 MOA dot will cover up a lot of the target. A 2 MOA dot is what you want- on the higher end ones they'll literally run for years, with the dot on. Even longer if you turn it off while it's in the safe.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Bucolic wrote:Why do you say that about Mueller? I have a number of their scopes, albeit mounted on rimfire rifles, and have found them to be of excellent value for the money -- clear optics to the edge of the field, bright, and hold zero very well.

Is your experience on larger calibers? If so, what went wrong.
From what I understand, their regular scopes are good quality (albeit very heavy).

I bought one of their Quicksights (holographic sight) a few years ago. The thing would not turn off (it always remained a pale red when in the off position) and the battery lasted about a day or so because of that. Mueller replied they have never heard of that happening and got me another one right away. Of course it did the exact same thing :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: I will say their customer service was very good.

But I would never get another Mueller scope that illuminates.

Thanks for clarifying. I have not tried their red dot scopes and, based on your experience, will not do so in the future.

My red dot experiences are limited. I have a TruGlo on one of my 10/22s and like it a lot. It has selectable reticles including a 2 MOA and five brightness settings. It cost about $80. The only downside is that one of the mounting bolts stripped the aluminum body. Yes, I torqued it too much. I did manage to drill and tap it out to a larger size thread and it is okay but I don't mount/dismount it much any more. Recently I bought a Sightmark for about $120. Much better camming quick release system. Selectable reticle and three brightness settings. Have not shot it yet. I suspect it will be fine since I will not be subjecting it to a lot of recoil.

joet wrote:
Fukshot wrote:What do you plan to do with the rifle? At what range?
sorry for the late response,had to go out of town on an emergency.150 yds and less. (deer).thanks joet
Red dots are great on pistols, shotguns and for certain uses of a carbine but on a BP rifle you would probably be better off with a fixed+low magnification scope (4x or lower) with an illuminated reticle - something more akin to a scout scope.

swissdog wrote:
joet wrote:
Fukshot wrote:What do you plan to do with the rifle? At what range?
sorry for the late response,had to go out of town on an emergency.150 yds and less. (deer).thanks joet
Red dots are great on pistols, shotguns and for certain uses of a carbine but on a BP rifle you would probably be better off with a fixed+low magnification scope (4x or lower) with an illuminated reticle - something more akin to a scout scope.
Nothing wrong with a red dot, but this would be my suggestion too.

My TC Triumph wears a Nikon Omega 1.65-5. It's a great scope and well suited/designed for ML. It pretty much always stays on 1.65. I have a Nikon Buckmasters 1x20, too, which could also be a good choice instead of a red dot. unfortunately, I'm not sure either are made anymore. Both of them are mounted in Leupold QD rings so my Williams irons are always available.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese