Black Powder Fever

Help, help! I've got it bad. The 1858 Remington by Uberti from Taylor's has bit me bad. I find myself spending all my free surfing moments looking, at, drooling over, or just dreaming about which gun to buy next, what accessory I can't live without, or should I get my powder license and become the black powder guy around here...sheesh, like I said...bad.
So far (today) I'm thinking the 1860 Army, a refined 1851, basically. But at my local Range ( a sporting clays venue..) they do have a Pedersoli 20g side by side percussion for $700, which if you know, is a frikkin steal! And I've got them to agree to a layaway! Yeh, I know, it's too late, they got me on that one.
Back to the 1860...it's either that this month, or.... a conversion cylinder for the 1858. Black powder cartridges are not far into the future, either way.
Any suggestions? What did You do? Have you fought the bug, and resisted?

Re: Black Powder Fever

Resistance is futile. But inhaling to soon can help.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

This is about as far back as I want to go for now....I have an affinity for people who had to go into bankruptcy... :lol:

EDIT: Although, it would definitely clear the perimeter!

eelj wrote:This would be another fun little project. http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com ... rbuss-kit/ A 4 bore capable of launching a 1/4 lb of lead over 250 grs of FFG. Perfect for home defense.
Attachments
2182_2.jpg
2182_2.jpg (9.17 KiB) Viewed 7697 times

The 1860 is a great gun, buy it from Taylors again. You're going to probably end up finding a gunsmith to dovetail a higher front sight because it's going to shoot way high from the factory. Way high, but normal.

I'd probably pass on that SxS. They are notorious for hitting all over the place and very hard to resell, even at that price.

I'd consider a new Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle in a 50 or 54. They are probably in that $550-600 range nowadays. Might as well get a 50 unless you hunt, less expensive to shoot that way.

For a shoulder arm that is fairly faithful to an original the Lyman plains rifle made by Investarms of Italy is a great bargain. I bought a kit in 50cal 11 years ago and it was very easy to assemble. Finished and ready to shoot is a little more.

rockyriverleather wrote:Help, help! I've got it bad. The 1858 Remington by Uberti from Taylor's has bit me bad. I find myself spending all my free surfing moments looking, at, drooling over, or just dreaming about which gun to buy next, what accessory I can't live without, or should I get my powder license and become the black powder guy around here...sheesh, like I said...bad.
So far (today) I'm thinking the 1860 Army, a refined 1851, basically. But at my local Range ( a sporting clays venue..) they do have a Pedersoli 20g side by side percussion for $700, which if you know, is a frikkin steal! And I've got them to agree to a layaway! Yeh, I know, it's too late, they got me on that one.
Back to the 1860...it's either that this month, or.... a conversion cylinder for the 1858. Black powder cartridges are not far into the future, either way.
Any suggestions? What did You do? Have you fought the bug, and resisted?
Honestly I might get the iconic 1851 Navy. The 1860 is cool, but... Well, I have both.

The thing I don't have, but want, is a Walker reproduction...

All good advice, I'll have to check into the sxs shotgun advice. I heard different on that. The Lyman would be great.
curtism1234 wrote:The 1860 is a great gun, buy it from Taylors again. You're going to probably end up finding a gunsmith to dovetail a higher front sight because it's going to shoot way high from the factory. Way high, but normal.
I'd probably pass on that SxS. They are notorious for hitting all over the place and very hard to resell, even at that price.
I'd consider a new Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle in a 50 or 54. They are probably in that $550-600 range nowadays. Might as well get a 50 unless you hunt, less expensive to shoot that way.

I'll definitely check their site out.
eelj wrote:For a shoulder arm that is fairly faithful to an original the Lyman plains rifle made by Investarms of Italy is a great bargain. I bought a kit in 50cal 11 years ago and it was very easy to assemble. Finished and ready to shoot is a little more.
You think like I do, almost..but my way of thinking says I should skip the ones with known problems and go to their "new and improved" versions. (i.e 1860 i over the 1851, the Dragoon over the Walker). Fill in the rest later. The pockets, and the sheriffs are intriguing
Inquisitor wrote:Honestly I might get the iconic 1851 Navy. The 1860 is cool, but... Well, I have both.
The thing I don't have, but want, is a Walker reproduction...

My only proper black powder gun is a Pedersoli Brown Bess. Got fire at both ends. I also like loading black powder 45 Colt rounds and shooting them from my Vaquero and (formerly) the Henry Big Boy. Accuracy is quite good. The guns look like hell afterward but cleanup really is easy. Soapy water is all that's needed.
I believe black powder, true black powder, is underrated.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

rockyriverleather wrote: but my way of thinking says I should skip the ones with known problems and go to their "new and improved" versions. (i.e 1860 i over the 1851, the Dragoon over the Walker). Fill in the rest later. The pockets, and the sheriffs are intriguing
Today's 1851 and 1860 are built identical, shoddy Italian work :rolleyes:

Seriously, there's no disadvantage in the 1851 provided you get the steel frame. I'd probably even get the 44cal so you only have to worry about 1 size of balls. That being said, they have different grips and factory front sights.

I notice a big difference between Pietta, and Uberti, especially the older Piettas. There's a reason they're always less money. Uberti's are just cleaner. And Taylor's picks the cleanest of the bunches sent to them to keep for sale. Cabella's must get the rest...lol.
I also heard a rumor that Beretta owns Uberti, for what that's worth.
For the 1851, there are certain things to be done to eliminate frustration, like changing out the nipples to ss with pinhole vent. And filling in the safety notch on the hammer to eliminate pulling caps out. I haven't held an 1860 in my hand to see the differences, but it sounds like they eliminate a few problems...dunno for sure.
Yeh, never get a brass frame.
I stripped the 1858 today, filed off a bunch of burrs around the hammer slot, and found the hand had developed some burrs...filed that off. Also, the bolt seems to not drop right into the cylinder notches, but just a tad ahead, so a tiny notch is developing on the edge of the cylinder notch itself. Gonna have to make some timing adjustments I guess. But there's always something....That's why I like guns!.
curtism1234 wrote:Today's 1851 and 1860 are built identical, shoddy Italian work :rolleyes:
Seriously, there's no disadvantage in the 1851 provided you get the steel frame. I'd probably even get the 44cal so you only have to worry about 1 size of balls. That being said, they have different grips and factory front sights.
Why buy em if you ain't using em!...lol. Seriously those pocket ones look coll for actual carry.
Inquisitor wrote:I have a 31 cal pocket Remington. Never shot it. But it's cool.

I need to have several hours to devote to shooting then cleaning these irons.
Yep, but black powder is hard to get where I am. Most of the hunters don't use it.
beaurrr wrote:My only proper black powder gun is a Pedersoli Brown Bess. Got fire at both ends. I also like loading black powder 45 Colt rounds and shooting them from my Vaquero and (formerly) the Henry Big Boy. Accuracy is quite good. The guns look like hell afterward but cleanup really is easy. Soapy water is all that's needed.
I believe black powder, true black powder, is underrated.

rockyriverleather wrote: For the 1851, there are certain things to be done to eliminate frustration, like changing out the nipples to ss with pinhole vent. And filling in the safety notch on the hammer to eliminate pulling caps out. I haven't held an 1860 in my hand to see the differences, but it sounds like they eliminate a few problems...dunno for sure.
This is the first time I've heard of either of those modifications and I really don't see a need for either of them.

They are colt guns, spent caps will get hung up in the cylinder from time to time. It's just one of the quirks that come with the style

Belliveau recommended those mods.

curtism1234 wrote:
rockyriverleather wrote: For the 1851, there are certain things to be done to eliminate frustration, like changing out the nipples to ss with pinhole vent. And filling in the safety notch on the hammer to eliminate pulling caps out. I haven't held an 1860 in my hand to see the differences, but it sounds like they eliminate a few problems...dunno for sure.
This is the first time I've heard of either of those modifications and I really don't see a need for either of them.

They are colt guns, spent caps will get hung up in the cylinder from time to time. It's just one of the quirks that come with the style

I was out shooting my 1860 Colt this weekend

The top target is 15 yards and the bottom one is 10 yards. It is probably my favorite gun to shoot. Load and clean on the other hand... My pistol is a pietta from cabelas that I got on sale just after christmas for about $200, I should have bought two. From what I understand Pietta has greatly improved their quality control in the 21st century and are about roughly the same quality as off the shelf Ubertis, but I haven't personally compared them both or see a lot of them to say either way. There are definitely some rough spots on my gun. The wedge is just slightly too big and has to be hammered into place with a brass punch. It should like in and out easily from what I understand.

All italian guns have trouble with nipples. The nipples are in metric and sized for some brand of european percussion caps that can't be had in the US. So american made caps like CCI and Remingtons don't fit exactly right and that mis-fit causes most of the reliability problems. At least from what I've read. Track of the wolf sells replacement nipples that are sized correctly for CCI caps for $5-6 a piece. I'm planning to replace the ones on my 1860 at some point this summer and see if it functions better. Right now it misfires about 1-2 out of 30 shots and that cap will usually fire on a second attempt.

Good shootin'
That's the amazing part of this 175 yr old technology. They shoot as well as modern firearms, and better in many case!
Yep. caps is the vulnerablity. I use 11s on my 1858, they do all right, but not 100%, 10s come right off. SS Slickshot nipples are looking like they might be worth the price.

valen wrote:I was out shooting my 1860 Colt this weekend

The top target is 15 yards and the bottom one is 10 yards. It is probably my favorite gun to shoot. Load and clean on the other hand... My pistol is a pietta from cabelas that I got on sale just after christmas for about $200, I should have bought two. From what I understand Pietta has greatly improved their quality control in the 21st century and are about roughly the same quality as off the shelf Ubertis, but I haven't personally compared them both or see a lot of them to say either way. There are definitely some rough spots on my gun. The wedge is just slightly too big and has to be hammered into place with a brass punch. It should like in and out easily from what I understand.

All italian guns have trouble with nipples. The nipples are in metric and sized for some brand of european percussion caps that can't be had in the US. So american made caps like CCI and Remingtons don't fit exactly right and that mis-fit causes most of the reliability problems. At least from what I've read. Track of the wolf sells replacement nipples that are sized correctly for CCI caps for $5-6 a piece. I'm planning to replace the ones on my 1860 at some point this summer and see if it functions better. Right now it misfires about 1-2 out of 30 shots and that cap will usually fire on a second attempt.

1 have 4 of the Pietta revolvers - brass & steel New Armys and a brass & steel Colts.
#10 Remingtons have worked fine on all of them so far.

Got an Uberti revolving carbine that I haven't taken out yet, but I hear Uberti's like the #11's better.
We'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brian in StL