Re: Revolver carbine is now on my list

A friend owns the Taurus Circuit Judge, something similar I gather. I don't see how it or any other revolver carbine would be any more dangerous than regular revolvers. Unless we are talking cap & ball revolvers in which case I have no experience w them.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Look at the trigger guard, the little hook there is where your support hand goes. Also, chain fire is easily stopped with careful loading of your cylinders. I'd do like Josie Wales and carry extra pre-loaded cylinders if this actually becomes a thing. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Bisbee wrote:A friend owns the Taurus Circuit Judge, something similar I gather. I don't see how it or any other revolver carbine would be any more dangerous than regular revolvers. Unless we are talking cap & ball revolvers in which case I have no experience w them.
cap and ball revolvers (pistol or carbine) can chain fire. anything in front of the cylinder can be blown off. yes, a metallic cartridge conversion should fix the problem. yes, chain fire is something you should be able to prevent, but you're taking a chance. i've had them at unexpected times with my 1860 colt clone. just sayin', hope it works out ok for you, OP.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
Bisbee wrote:A friend owns the Taurus Circuit Judge, something similar I gather. I don't see how it or any other revolver carbine would be any more dangerous than regular revolvers. Unless we are talking cap & ball revolvers in which case I have no experience w them.
cap and ball revolvers (pistol or carbine) can chain fire. anything in front of the cylinder can be blown off. yes, a metallic cartridge conversion should fix the problem. yes, chain fire is something you should be able to prevent, but you're taking a chance. i've had them at unexpected times with my 1860 colt clone. just sayin', hope it works out ok for you, OP.
Jeez Louise, and to think those dangerous things are for sale at the local Ace Hardware...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

If you'd enjoy the carbine I'd say go ahead and buy one. Like you say, load it properly and keep your hand out of the way of the cylinder where it belongs and you won't have a problem. I'm sure Ace Hardware sells plenty of other items which will take off a hand if not used properly.

I don't know if you're new to black powder or not, but I'd recommend The Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala. Lot's of great tips there, including loading percussion revolvers.

I used to shoot my Black Powder revolvers frequently. I too experienced a few chain-fires. :oops2:

Yes, loading carefully they were less common. Using Wonder wads pretty much stopped them; I cannot remember a single chain-fire when I used them. That being said, I would never put my hand in a place where a chain-fire could cause injury.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

ErikO wrote:Look at the trigger guard, the little hook there is where your support hand goes. Also, chain fire is easily stopped with careful loading of your cylinders. I'd do like Josie Wales and carry extra pre-loaded cylinders if this actually becomes a thing. ;)
Right, you don't hold this gun like you would a regular rifle so a chain fire should be no more disastrous than from a revolver.

Most chainfires occur when flames get inside the nipple from the back as opposed to the front. Caps can and do fall off so I slightly pinch all of mine before putting them on.

eelj wrote:
Dang, now that's pretty! Almost certainly illegal without a BATF tax stamp, but pretty!
Batf does not recognize that as a firearm so no problem, can buy over the internet and have it shipped directly to your house.
I would still get the stamp, but I guess that's just me. I would consider it as "local yokel" insurance...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote:
eelj wrote:
Dang, now that's pretty! Almost certainly illegal without a BATF tax stamp, but pretty!
Batf does not recognize that as a firearm so no problem, can buy over the internet and have it shipped directly to your house.
I would still get the stamp, but I guess that's just me. I would consider it as "local yokel" insurance...
not a firearm under federal law. state and local may vary. lot of cops don't know the law, have had to explain muzzleloaders to chiefs of police.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?