Re: Military Heritage English Civil War Dog Lock Cavalry Pis

The procedure can be either simple or involved.

First you need to put a rod down the barrel and mark it at the end of the barrel. Then hold it along side the outside of the barrel to see what you have for space to work with. Drilling a hole through the barrel won't work if it is going into the breech plug. Also just a 1/16th inch hole will give very shitty ignition.
Best to pull the breech plug and after you figure where you want the vent is to drill a 1/4" hole and thread it for a vent liner. Then you have to put the vent liner in and mark what sticks out into the barrel so it can be removed, that is critical because if there is any place for powder fouling to collect it will rot the barrel by the vent and will eventually blow out on ignition. The proper fitting of the breech plug is absolutely critical, I'm sceptical of guns sold basically as wall hangers or as reenacting weapons being altered for actual firing, the company will in no way be liable for any catastrophic accident. My suggestion would be too talk to an actual gunsmith what he thinks should be done.

ErikO wrote:
Cusidhe wrote:How about these folks? Anyone use them? Same questions. Thoughts?

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com ... 15-60.html
Lost my interest when I saw the 'smooth bore Baker' in their list with no rifled barrel option.

Nope.
Re-enactors have no need for rifling because all they do is burn powder. I have read about problems with quality control issues with these guns made in India before but it has been some time now, maybe that issue has been straightened out.

Many of the guys in my reenacting unit purchased various Indian made guns. We use the British Brown Bess almost exclusively and there are currently two options, Pedersoli @ $1500 or an Indian gun @ $600. So you can see why a lot of new guys are buying Indian. It seems like they run great for a couple of years and then develop problems with their locks. I've seen broken springs and poorly inletting that binds up the locks. The frizzens are universally weak, but we have a gunsmith that can harden them for us in the Regiment so that hasn't been an issue. To be fair, reenactors are hard on our guns, so 2-3 years of our use (150ish shots in a weekend, 10-12 weekends a year) might be 10-15 years of use for a normal person.

I'm not a huge fan of Discriminating General muskets that I've seen, but my experience has not been extensive. They seem like the exact same guns that some place like Middlesex Village Trading Co or Loyalist Arms carries but without the touch hole drilled at roughly the same prices. Why bother doing it yourself. I've recently heard lots of complaints about customer service with Middlesex, so I would try loyalist if I were in the market for a new indian made musket.

valen wrote:indian made musket.
india has a bad rep in civil war reenacting circles as well. guns, bayonets, swords, steel not the best. don't know if they've gotten better in the last 15-20 years. myself, i'd not be afraid to drill a flashhole after some study and save a couple of hundred dollars. if i'm still here by the time i get around to it (don't hold your breath), i'll let you know.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?