Re: The bicycle thread

Bucolic wrote:
Paladin wrote:I’m thinking of getting a http://www.radpiwerbikes.com for next summer instead of driving so much

Link is fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Please do. I need to know someone who has one. I am fascinated by them but they are a bit pricey for an impulse buy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a 20 year old K2 mountain bike I am due for an upgrade and anything good costs about the same.

An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Paladin wrote:
Bucolic wrote:
Paladin wrote:I’m thinking of getting a http://www.radpiwerbikes.com for next summer instead of driving so much

Link is fixed

Please do. I need to know someone who has one. I am fascinated by them but they are a bit pricey for an impulse buy

I have a 20 year old K2 mountain bike I am due for an upgrade and anything good costs about the same.

Understood. I have an old criterium bike c. 1975. Reynolds 531 double-butted tubes, all Campy Super Record, Cinelli bars and stem. It’s a classic and, in its day, was priced like one. I hesitate to think of what a new road bike of comparable stuff would cost.

Just got a family friend a Schwinn woman's hybrid. It's really good looking, shock front, disk brakes, 21 speeds. White with purple accents. And, for $230, a damn nice bike.

Couldn't get the front shifter (an STI type) to work. Shifts were noisy and not clean. Now it won't shift to 3, only 1 and 2, so leaving it in 2 for now. Had no trouble with the rest of the assembly and tuning the back shifter and both brakes.

I just don't know STI shifters having been an idiotically simple friction shifter for the last 45 years....Schwinn is sending new brake shifter combos, but it's been a LOOONG afternoon trying to get it set. I have a nice, if albeit cheap repair stand. It's a nice bike but.....

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

now, i know that what seems like common sense sometimes isn't, and i know i've been out of the loop for a long time, but please explain this to me. my new cheap walmart has very stiff, tight pedals, not all that surprising on a cheap bike. used to be when bikes were made from dinosaur bits, if you spun a pedal by hand it was common to set it to spinning by itself a dozen revs or more, and then it would rock back and forth several times. nowadays every one ive tried, on or off a bike, will spin once or twice at most, even on an expensive road bike. it's almost as if there are no bearings at all in there. this is just weird. have the laws of physics changed? are they supposed to wear in? is the platinum/titanium/unobtanium alloy used only in pedal bearings too expensive to put in anything under $12,000? this is where the powerplant(you) first applies power to the drivetrain and we're wasting power against friction every time we push the pedal? i don't get it.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:now, i know that what seems like common sense sometimes isn't, and i know i've been out of the loop for a long time, but please explain this to me. my new cheap walmart has very stiff, tight pedals, not all that surprising on a cheap bike. used to be when bikes were made from dinosaur bits, if you spun a pedal by hand it was common to set it to spinning by itself a dozen revs or more, and then it would rock back and forth several times. nowadays every one ive tried, on or off a bike, will spin once or twice at most, even on an expensive road bike. it's almost as if there are no bearings at all in there. this is just weird. have the laws of physics changed? are they supposed to wear in? is the platinum/titanium/unobtanium alloy used only in pedal bearings too expensive to put in anything under $12,000? this is where the powerplant(you) first applies power to the drivetrain and we're wasting power against friction every time we push the pedal? i don't get it.
I only had two noticeable problems. The front derailleur needed to be turned ever so slightly to be perfectly parallel with the largest chain wheel, and the front shifter. Schwinn sent me a matched pair but if I just swap the left shifter and it works perfectly well, I'm not going to "fix" what ain't broken for the rear shifter and derailleur mech.
But the pedals worked beautifully. Everything else was minor adjustment to the rear derailleur and the brakes.

But I also read the reviews very carefully and this woman's bike got far and away the best.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote:now, i know that what seems like common sense sometimes isn't, and i know i've been out of the loop for a long time, but please explain this to me. my new cheap walmart has very stiff, tight pedals, not all that surprising on a cheap bike. used to be when bikes were made from dinosaur bits, if you spun a pedal by hand it was common to set it to spinning by itself a dozen revs or more, and then it would rock back and forth several times. nowadays every one ive tried, on or off a bike, will spin once or twice at most, even on an expensive road bike. it's almost as if there are no bearings at all in there. this is just weird. have the laws of physics changed? are they supposed to wear in? is the platinum/titanium/unobtanium alloy used only in pedal bearings too expensive to put in anything under $12,000? this is where the powerplant(you) first applies power to the drivetrain and we're wasting power against friction every time we push the pedal? i don't get it.
You can take them off and take them apart. My guess is they have zero grease in them. I bet your wheel bearings too. I bought a couple of Walmart bikes for my kids as they were outgrowing bikes every year or two. Some I bought from the neighbors as their kids out grew them and passed mine down in the neighborhood. A common theme was no grease. I repacked the front, rear, and bottom bearings, plus both pedals. You can back off the nut slightly for now and see if that helps make them turn, but they may be dry and grinding already. The balls will probably fall out because there's no grease so open things up on a nice large white rag to catch them. Use a magnetic tip screwdriver to put them into the grease you wipe into the bearing. The reassemble and wipe up. Tighten up then back off until you barely get side so side motion then tighten the second retaining bolt. That usually takes out the play without over tightening.

There's a guy here that runs a bike shop out of the basement of his house. I go there to find parts. It takes time to dig through countless boxes, around his hundreds of old frames, but it usually pays off.

It's definitely worth learning how to fix things on them yourself. That way when something comes apart and you're 15 miles from home, you know what to do.
Brian

YankeeTarheel wrote:
I only had two noticeable problems. The front derailleur needed to be turned ever so slightly to be perfectly parallel with the largest chain wheel, and the front shifter. Schwinn sent me a matched pair but if I just swap the left shifter and it works perfectly well, I'm not going to "fix" what ain't broken for the rear shifter and derailleur mech.
But the pedals worked beautifully. Everything else was minor adjustment to the rear derailleur and the brakes.

But I also read the reviews very carefully and this woman's bike got far and away the best.
So I swapped out the left brake/shifter this afternoon and now it works well. It's an inexpensive 21 speed hybrid so you have to expect some limitations like slightly clunky shifts. While the shifters don't exactly match--the gear indicators are different, unless you know to look, you won't see it. I really don't want to take a chance on changing the right set when it's working perfectly.

Aha! A place where guns don't make one crazy and bikes don't mean you're a sissy who can't afford a car! Yes, I'm a bit of a tinkerer, hence the similar interests. Lots of sweet rides in this thread, particularly that yellow miyata! I love older steel and roll on an '80 Fuji Royale when not on the Soma Saga. Starting to get cold and wet here in Seattle but I hope to see a couple fellow rain rats on the roads or at the range!

Welcome to the thread.

Its officially cold here now. Overcast and 32 right now. It was 28 at lunch time with a wind chill of DAMN!. We're in that time of year where it's dark on the way to work and dark when you leave to go home. If it rains or snows, you get ice at some point in the day so you can't ride without studded tires. Or at least you shouldn't ride without them.

So I'm stuck on the hamster wheel. I got a new fluid trainer for my Birthday and I'll see if I can get 60-80 miles a week on it.
Brian

Yeah, it's gotten cold with a bitter wind here, never getting out of the '30's. When it's like this, bicycling is only for the serious hard-core.

Anyone here ever buy from BikesDirect? They have some nice looking Motobecanes, like one with full suspension, plus lockouts with hydro disk brakes for $699. Yes, I realize that the classic French Motobecane is long gone, and this is just the name.

CaptainShankypants wrote:Aha!
i appreciate the workmanship that goes into both guns and bikes, but i also appreciate affordability. i've affiliated with a local bike charity which helps kids rebuild junked/abandoned bikes. part of the deal is i get to build one for myself, and even though i just bought myself a wallyworld bike, i'm hoping to build a "classic" peugeot (despite the fact it may actually be no better than the new bike). if it's big enough, i'll build it, ride them for a while, decide which i like better.
i wonder, how many of us keep multiple bikes? i'm actually trying to cut back on stuff, not accumulate more.

lurker wrote:
CaptainShankypants wrote:Aha!
i appreciate the workmanship that goes into both guns and bikes, but i also appreciate affordability. i've affiliated with a local bike charity which helps kids rebuild junked/abandoned bikes. part of the deal is i get to build one for myself, and even though i just bought myself a wallyworld bike, i'm hoping to build a "classic" peugeot (despite the fact it may actually be no better than the new bike). if it's big enough, i'll build it, ride them for a while, decide which i like better.
i wonder, how many of us keep multiple bikes? i'm actually trying to cut back on stuff, not accumulate more.
Can't say a bad word to me about Peugeots! I still have and ride my white UO-8 I bought at the end of the summer in 1972 after my working in a mail room after my 11th grade year. 45 years old and still going strong! Still have the original frame, wheels (DEA), hubs (Normandy), quick-releases (Simplex), shifters (Simplex) and MAFAC "Racer" centerpull brakes. I've replaced the free wheel, bottom bracket, crankset (twice), both front and rear derailleurs (twice for both), pedals, toe clips, seat, seat post, and seat post clamp screw. Handlebar taping, cables and casings have been replaced multiple times. But it still weighs less than most modern mountain bikes and hybrids! And the frame was designed to be naturally springy.

You can get them pretty reasonably on Craig's list. There's a really nice mixte I've toyed with the idea of getting because it's in great condition and cheap ($75), and in white.
(Waited too long--gone)

i guess what i'm really thinking is, is a 35+ year old "classic" bike really any better than a new cheap bike, especially since i'd probably have to rebuild it? i guess i need to try to get a model # off of it and find out if it's somehow special.

lurker wrote:i guess what i'm really thinking is, is a 35+ year old "classic" bike really any better than a new cheap bike, especially since i'd probably have to rebuild it? i guess i need to try to get a model # off of it and find out if it's somehow special.
It depends on how much rebuild you want and need to do. If it's been stored outside, and there's rust on the steel parts, I'd pass it up. But if it's clean, the freewheel and crankset have no rust, with a good price? It could well be worth it! It may just need fresh tires, brake pads and lubing;

I own one of each of these:

1987 Panasonic Mountain Cat MC-3500, "Vesper Lynd".
1986 Panasonic Pro Touring, "Emiliana Sofia".
1993 Bridgestone XO-3, "Jade".

I'm a home/work bike commuter, about 7-8 mile daily (to and fro), with city/urban traffic.

Hobbies wise, most of my attention, time, and monies have been going into cycling. Firearms are on hiatus.

X
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote:I own one of each of these:

X
does each of these have a distinct purpose, or do you just like having more than one? i see you named them 8-)

I've never understood naming inanimate objects and machines like they were pets. I just don't get it. I'm not going to name a car, motorcycle or bicycle anymore than I'd name a dish washer, vacuum cleaner, chain saw, or sump pump.

If it floats your boat, it's harmless, but it's not for me.

lurker wrote:
Xela wrote:I own one of each of these:

X
does each of these have a distinct purpose, or do you just like having more than one? i see you named them 8-)
Main function, use, is commuting. Home/work. Groceries. Social rides/entertainment. Hopefully one day: travel. For all of them.

I have attempted a local 100ish mile ride with Vesper Lynd and Jade (both 26 inch tires) and they were a lot of fun. But, the wrong tool. Been meaning to do longer travel/rides with Emiliana Sofia (size 27 tires).

Oh, and they're also helping me by saving my life: I'm a member of the open heart surgery club (triple bypass, Class of 2008).

X
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote: Oh, and they're also helping me by saving my life: I'm a member of the open heart surgery club (triple bypass, Class of 2008).
X
ouch. i never would have suspected, in your avatar, you look much younger. ;)

i got mine after my aneurysm surgery. docs said regular exercise was a good idea, sounded like fun.