Re: Lets talk some games

Squad may be the best game I've played in years. It's gotten under my skin like no other game I've played recently, and has pretty much stopped me playing anything else. The tactical realism, massive maps and serious team work prevalent in all the matches I've played so far have been amazing.

If you enjoy ARMA (though this isnt as annoyingly realistic), Americas Army, Red Orchestra etc then you really owe it to yourself to get this. It's early access so its still alpha but there is a metric fuckton of potential here. A mic is a must for good teamwork, if you folks decide to pick it up please let me know and I'll add you on steam and we can get rolling as a group.

TheHunterOfSkulls wrote:Good memories of Morrowind. That's when I first started getting into game mods (both using them and creating them).
you wrote mw mods? where can i see them? i've just killed dagoth ur for the umpteenth time, don't want to replay the vanilla game.
i considered learning to write mods, played with the CS a bit, steep learning curve.
i wanted a "where's caius" mod. where does he go? hiding out at gildan's? chained up in dralsea arethi's basement? (she always seemed a little creepy to me, like she was stalking caius)
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I use an Alienware R4, with a older nvidia TITAN gfx card, 16gb of DDR3 RAM, two 120gb SSDs, three 1tb HDDs, and a single 24" monitor; my current gaming obsession is Slime Rancher, and Xcom2, but I love to play zombie survival games like Rust, and 7 days to die, and space sims like Elite Dangerous, and when it comes out Star Citizen, which I've put more money into than all my firearms, and storm chase vehicle is worth, currently I have 7,500$US put into star citizen, lol, and with my older hardware, I can barely even play the pre-alpha releases without immense lag.

So it appears as though I have spent my Firearms budget on a new system instead of a gun.

I've made the switch from a long time AMD (since 2000) user to Intel. My new systems is now

Motherboard - Asus Z170-Deluxe
Processor - Intel i7-6700K
RAM - EVGA 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
Graphics Card - ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960 (can't remember if I have the 4 GB or 2 GB version)
Hard Drive - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB PCIe 3.0 M.2 Internal Solid State Drive
Cooling - EKWB EK-KIT L360 (R2.0) Just the CPU on the loop right now.
Case - Thermaltake Core V71 Extreme
Optical drive - LG Blu-Ray burner

Currently tuning it for overclocking with the hope to go over the 5 GHz spot. It's also a good thing that Microcenter is as far from me as it is otherwise I would have a really sweet set up and not much else.
I shoot guns and make ammo to.

RurouniKakita wrote:So it appears as though I have spent my Firearms budget on a new system instead of a gun.

I've made the switch from a long time AMD (since 2000) user to Intel. My new systems is now

Motherboard - Asus Z170-Deluxe
Processor - Intel i7-6700K
RAM - EVGA 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
Graphics Card - ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960 (can't remember if I have the 4 GB or 2 GB version)
Hard Drive - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB PCIe 3.0 M.2 Internal Solid State Drive
Cooling - EKWB EK-KIT L360 (R2.0) Just the CPU on the loop right now.
Case - Thermaltake Core V71 Extreme
Optical drive - LG Blu-Ray burner

Currently tuning it for overclocking with the hope to go over the 5 GHz spot. It's also a good thing that Microcenter is as far from me as it is otherwise I would have a really sweet set up and not much else.
Very nice! I made the switch from AMD to Intel as well (running AMD since the K5, so 96 or thereabouts) and I'm running a somewhat similar system to you. The built in ASUS overclocking tools are pretty nice and I'm able to push my i5 6600k to 4.6ghz with corsair H55. I start to see some instability around 4.7 and above but thats mostly because I can't be arsed to actually mess with it. What are your thoughts on the M.2 drive so far? Both of my ssds are standard ones (120gb OS drive, 1TB steam drive) and I thought about going m2 but ehhhh.

Take some pictures of your rig, I'm curious to see your cooling setup (are you going to run a loop to the gfx card or the ram?). Let me know how the overclock goes!

I do plan to add the graphics card into the loop sometime in the future, but not until I upgrade it and can get a full card water block. The M.2 drive is nice and it's my only drive right now, I'm going to wait till 1 TB SSDs drop in price a bit more before adding one. Having it run on the PCI-Express bus makes it pretty snappy.

Here are some pics of it.

I'll try and get some better ones later.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Did you have any issues getting the backplate on? I have the Z170-A and it has damn near the same ports configuration as the deluxe model, and I couldnt get the backplate to fit for some reason. (In a corsair 750d) so I just said the hell with it and left it off. Also very nice! What PSU are you running?

EDIT - Oh I got my 1tb ssd for 226 off of newegg. Its not super high end but since I use it for games its not a big deal. Its a Mushkin Reactor, and now that I'm looking its gone back up to 250 on amazon and over 300 on newegg. Yeesh. Worth the money though. You may want to consider picking up just a regular platter drive for bulk storage duties, I've got one of those as well and I just throw everything else on there. Pretty cheap for a decent mechanical drive these days.

No issues getting the back plate on other than it took a firm push to seat it.the little cushioning they put on there was a bit odd though.

I have a tradition platter drive that is 2 TB but it was from my old board so I'm cleaning it up out side of the computer first. Ideally the only moving parts in the computer would end up being the Fans and Water pump.

I'm considering buying a console for Fallout 4 instead of a laptop, since it looks like mods will now be available to Xbox and Playstation by June.

This would save me about $1000 in hardware costs.

Any thoughts about playing Fallout on a box and/or which one to choose?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I got FO4, but my rig can't handle it too well.

I've gone back to playing Skyrim, now that I found a mod that rescales monsters above 10, all the way up to 60.

Now, maybe I'll finally finish the game. I loved going around, doing the quests until I out leveled the game and it became boring to play because nothing was a challenge.

I've got my warpriest going, an archer, a two hander and a destruction mage.

I'm trying to think of other builds now.

senorgrand wrote:I'm considering buying a console for Fallout 4 instead of a laptop, since it looks like mods will now be available to Xbox and Playstation by June.

It would really depend on if there are any other games you want to play on the console. I play it on the XBone and don't own a PS4 but that's because I tend to split my time between the dirty console peasants, the Glorious PC Master Race, and the Table Top outcasts.

Personally I think an opprotunity was missed by not having FO4 available on the Wii U. The screan on the main controller would have been perfect for the pip boy but linking the phone as a second screen works ok if I have the charger connected.

RurouniKakita wrote:
senorgrand wrote:I'm considering buying a console for Fallout 4 instead of a laptop, since it looks like mods will now be available to Xbox and Playstation by June.

It would really depend on if there are any other games you want to play on the console. I play it on the XBone and don't own a PS4 but that's because I tend to split my time between the dirty console peasants, the Glorious PC Master Race, and the Table Top outcasts.

Personally I think an opprotunity was missed by not having FO4 available on the Wii U. The screan on the main controller would have been perfect for the pip boy but linking the phone as a second screen works ok if I have the charger connected.
Is the ps still backwards compatible? I wouldn't mind playing Red Dead Redemption.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

begemot wrote:
RobertS wrote:I got FO4, but my rig can't handle it too well.
Be grateful. I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I sunk into it. The most addictive game I played since Evercrack. It's been a long time since I had an "oops, it's 4AM moment". Had several with FO4.
Oh, I've got 1338 hours into Skyrim. I love it. It's far better than Oblivion. I still haven't played it to the end though. I think I'll make a point of doing that this time around.

RobertS wrote:
begemot wrote:
RobertS wrote:I got FO4, but my rig can't handle it too well.
Be grateful. I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I sunk into it. The most addictive game I played since Evercrack. It's been a long time since I had an "oops, it's 4AM moment". Had several with FO4.
Oh, I've got 1338 hours into Skyrim. I love it. It's far better than Oblivion. I still haven't played it to the end though. I think I'll make a point of doing that this time around.
And I thought 194 hours into Skyrim was a lot. :roflmao: I agree it's better than Oblivion.

senorgrand wrote:
Is the ps still backwards compatible? I wouldn't mind playing Red Dead Redemption.
The answer to that question is sort of. For the PS4 I guess there is a way to play PS3 games by streaming them over the Playstation Network (PSN) and you can rebuy some PS2 games to play via an emulator but you can't just put in a PS2 or PS3 disc and play it. The XBone has started Backwards compatibility with a selection of XB360 games and is much easier to use. Unlike the PS4 you can insert the disc of a compatible game and install it, this is why I got the 1 TB version. As it installs it will obtain the necessary patches/updates to play on the new console. The current list of available games is located here and does not include Red Dead Redemption, yet.

So I've been drawn back into Counter Strike with Counter Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO). I've been playing this game since it first came around as a mod for the original Half-Life. I do have to give a little credit to this game for my firearms hobby. Any other players here?

RurouniKakita wrote:So I've been drawn back into Counter Strike with Counter Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO). I've been playing this game since it first came around as a mod for the original Half-Life. I do have to give a little credit to this game for my firearms hobby. Any other players here?
Dabbled with 1.6 back in the day, played a ton of source not much for CSGO. Just not feeling it in terms of mechanics, plus it seems like people only want to play dust 2 or inferno. WTB office server plzkthx.

Put a few hours into the Division (60+ actually), lovely game...I do not recommend buying it in its current state. The city is gorgeous, the game play is fun if you like loot driven shooters (if you like destiny you will like this). But the glitches and hacks are bad, which wouldnt be an issue except you need to run the PvP zone to get some of the best gear and crafting plans and it's full of hackers and glitchers who have uber gear and just rofl-stomp other players. Also the end-game raid zone they just added is just horde mode with 15 waves and no saves, its tedious and pretty terrible actually.

That being said, the initial leveling and game play experience is great and the city itself is almost another character in the game. So...wait until they unfuck themselves before buying.

I picked up an indie game, Bunker Punks and its surprisingly fluid and fast old school style shooting on a rogue like framework. I've played a bit more of this than I thought I would, thinking about picking up HyperLight Drifter next, they say its a little bit of a mess in terms of story but that gameplay and art style just look tops.

I've been massively preoccupied with the first two DLCs for Fallout 4. I'll have to post some screenshots here of new stuff tomorrow, there's a bunch of them on my facebook profile for those of you who have me on your list there.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

The division isn't so bad. It's lacking anti-cheat on the PC, but they're addressing that. It does have some glitches, but it's team based combat is really fun with friends. I enjoy it on the PS4, I think I'd be more frustrated if I was playing it on the PC.

I am looking forward to Ground Branch though. Reminds me a bit of Arma.

The infinite stacking bonsues to 1mil damage thing was pretty terrible, they actually hot fixed that right away. The problem is that they store too much data client side, so it makes it far too easy for the cheaters out there.

I can handle the normal griefers because thats a normal thing, but the cheats are rampant right now and massive doesn't appear to be doing anything (though they could be behind the scenes, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt).