Watches

Anyone else here have too many expensive hobbies? Guns (obviously), watches, wet shaving, cars, guitars, house, wife, child... Not sure it ends there either.

As for watches, not long ago my wife made the mistake of asking if I wanted to replace my old Timex Expedition with a nice dress watch... Down the rabbit hole I went and the my first watch acquisition was an Orient Ray with a blue dial. Next I started to discover an entire world of mid range mechanical watches by small boutique companies like Stowa, Laco, Graf Zeppelin, Shinola, Archimede, Steinheart, etc.

I seem to be stuck on Christopher Ward watches and have a few of them. My most recent one is their Single Pusher Chronograph, which to me is a very elegant watch with a fascinating complication:

Re: Watches

Citizen Eco-drive field watches have been my victims of choice the past few years.

My lifestyle dosent allow expensive watches or sunglasses.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Citizen Eco-drive field watches have been my victims of choice the past few years.

Mine too. Never having to wind or change batteries is a big plus in my book.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
Mason wrote:Citizen Eco-drive field watches have been my victims of choice the past few years.

Mine too. Never having to wind or change batteries is a big plus in my book.
That makes three of us.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

The watch above is a mechanical handwind with a 40 hour reserve, so it does require winding.

I have a couple others that were closer to the Invictus pricing that are mecanical automatic watches, so no need for batteries ever.

I've worked in IT for longer than I care to recount and I find something grounding about having a watch that has no electronics on my wrist. Something that works efficiently without programming while offering a bit of elegance.

Bucolic wrote:I oscillate between a nice Baum & Mercier, a Cartier Santos, and a cheap, knockabout Seiko
Nice taste in watches. My Onega Planet Ocean resides in my gun safe currently. I need to put it back on my wrist.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

Those are some very nice watches. :D

I'd love to get my hands on an IWC Portuguese or Portifino, but sadly those are way past my pay grade for now. If I won the lottery, I'd probably use a small fraction to get an A. Lange and Sonne Lange 1, used of course. :shock:

This one stretched my budget and will probably set back my Gun Aquisition Syndrom for a while...

Anyone want to buy an AR-10 so I can get a CZ Tactical Sport? :blush:

:o

We hate you...

:yucky:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I've stuck with Practical in the watch dept or I'd be all over the place.
Traser.jpg
Traser.jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
I've had a Traser for over ten years and have gone through 3 bands. I like the nato style that is less likely to drop the watch when part of the band gives way.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Oh, you shouldn't have done this. Watches, we don't need no steenkin' watches. Mechanical watches, another obsession.

60s pre-Tritium Oysterdate

Valjoux 72c triple date, 3 register chronograph

Zenith high beat movement from the 70s
Last edited by nigel on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

You've got some nice pieces Nigel.

Got tired of replacing the rubber bracelet every two years and didn't really care for the look of this watch with the stainless bracelet so when Omega finally made a NATO strap for it I bought one. It really sets this watch off.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

I have 6 of those, and love them..

You will have to change a battery once in a while. Well, not exactly a battery,but a Solar Storage device.. they are only around $22 and look like and replace just like a battery. I had to replace my first one after 7 years.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I had a new self-winding Vostok that was consistently 5 min behind or ahead. I didn't have to wind it but I was forever resetting it. One of the radioactive glow buttons came loose and jammed beneath a hand. Now it's exactly on time, twice a day. :thumbup:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

I've always loved mechanical watches, and got into German watches several years ago -- I especially love the ones that are almost comically over-engineered. I have a couple Sinns, a Damasko, a Nomos, and a Stowa. I'll try to snap some pics and post if anyone is still following this thread and interested haha :hmmm:

-Mike

My dad (who died this past November) collected watches, particularly Seikos. Here's a SBGW033:
DSC01917_zps2pxtikdv.jpg
He has many others. Some quite old.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police