Hey CDFingers and other exotic wood lovers. Jealous?

This last trip to my Dads he blessed me with a solid, all black 5.25 x 2.5 x2.5 chunk of ebony left from a larger piece he purchased back in the 1960s. He says he thinks he paid $15 for it, and it was about twice as long. Used it for rifle stock tips and a set of grips for a friends Smith.

Its like a heavy chunk of coal its so black. Not a speck of brown in it like the "ebony" I bought and used on my 1885 winchester.

Have no idea what this would cost these days. I know some of the previously popular varieties have been banned due to over harvest, so old stock is only legal source.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Hey CDFingers and other exotic wood lovers. Jealous?

Kayaker wrote:Though it is expensive, Gaboon Ebony is still obtainable. MacBeath Hardwood Co. in Berkeley, Ca. has it in stock. They sell it for $28.20 per pound.
At what? 70 pounds per cubic foot, thats not much for $28.20

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:That will go a long ways. I'm gonna have to dig out some old grenadilla scraps from the organ keys for a pic.

CDFingers
Ok, had no idea of grenadilla, aka african blackwood. From what I just read on the wood database , its very similar to ebonies, but can be hard to glue due to oils and is more fragrant when worked. Its also 70 pounds per cubic foot and often mistake for ebony, but is actually related to rosewood.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Many moons ago, someone gave my Dad some ebony, about 2" x 2" x 10". He couldn't think of anything to do with it offhand, so he turned a belaying pin. I've had it since about 1970, and decided to turn my own out of some scrap in the shed. I wish I could remember what kind of wood it is... :)

Anyhow, here's the pair together - his is obviously the black one. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
_SCB0094_resize.jpg

dandad wrote:
CDFingers wrote:That will go a long ways. I'm gonna have to dig out some old grenadilla scraps from the organ keys for a pic.

CDFingers
Ok, had no idea of grenadilla, aka african blackwood. From what I just read on the wood database , its very similar to ebonies, but can be hard to glue due to oils and is more fragrant when worked. Its also 70 pounds per cubic foot and often mistake for ebony, but is actually related to rosewood.
When we did the organ project, we vowed never to use endangered materials. So we swapped grenadilla for ebony with the black keys, and we swapped the shin bones of cattle for ivory for the white keys, cattle raised at the university farm where we built the organ. They even boiled the bones clean for us. I machined both the grenadilla (smells like coffee) and the bones (smelled like beef stew) on the table saw.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

SailDesign wrote:Many moons ago, someone gave my Dad some ebony, about 2" x 2" x 10". He couldn't think of anything to do with it offhand, so he turned a belaying pin. I've had it since about 1970, and decided to turn my own out of some scrap in the shed. I wish I could remember what kind of wood it is... :)

Anyhow, here's the pair together - his is obviously the black one. :)
Nice. Id like a wood lathe.
Years ago my dad turned me a guitar slide from ebony on his machinist lathe. Its still going strong today, and has a different warmer tone than glass, copper, steel or even my craftsman deepwell 7/8 socket I hacked the socket end of.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
Kayaker wrote:Though it is expensive, Gaboon Ebony is still obtainable. MacBeath Hardwood Co. in Berkeley, Ca. has it in stock. They sell it for $28.20 per pound.

At 6.2 lbs. per B/F = $176.70 B/F. I get it myself, pay good money for it and hand pick every piece. It ain't like it's Oak or Cherry.

Kayaker wrote:
dandad wrote:

At 6.2 lbs. per B/F = $176.70 B/F. I get it myself, pay good money for it and hand pick every piece. It ain't like it's Oak or Cherry.
No shit. Not a mail order , let someone else choose it for you type of purchase.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more