Re: The bicycle thread

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 am no, just horizontal. i could probably come up with some sort of rotating head, but i'm happy with what it is, and the complexity... now you've done it, i'm going to have to figure out how to add a rotating clamp, just because.
:smart: :beer2: :lol:

:sorry:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote:no, just horizontal. i could probably come up with some sort of rotating head, but i'm happy with what it is, and the complexity... now you've done it, i'm going to have to figure out how to add a rotating clamp, just because.
That’s really nice, secure looking. The only downside might be the potential to crimp top tube cables. But you could hog out some material around where those cables would lie. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

planning to order up some bike parts/accessories, some silly. (wait for it...) currently looking at niagara cycles, was looking at bikeworldusa, but having trouble with their user interface. kickstand, stem shifters, stem, half toe clips, helmet mirror, helmet mohawk.... wait what, helmet mohawk? wtf.
ok, the helmet mohawk is pure frivolity, except that when i'm riding my bike i want to be noticed. that's my justification, anyway, that aaaand "don't mess with the old guy, he's crazy". yes, pink. i prefer to call it magenta. clashes perfectly with my yellow helmet.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories ... ohawk-pink
what i really wanted to know is, does anyone have any experience with the strapless half toe clips, and are they any use at all, or a waste of $7?
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories ... pair-black
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I used the strap pedal clips but kept the strap loose enough that it wouldn't be much different. I have a pile of those with a strap and if I ever wanted I could just trim them down with a grinder to get what's in your link. They came on almost every bike I've purchased. The one thing they will do (strap or no) is make you put your feet in the correct position on the pedal. A lot of people I see out riding end up pedaling on the arch of their foot.

I use clipless pedals because it gives you more power as you can pull upward, as well as, pushing down on the pedal. Just loosen them as much as possible when you're learning and unless you're mountain biking, you'll probably never pop out of them accidentally.

Personally I'd skip clips and move to clipless because you'll probably end up there anyway. I use a pair of Giro MTB shoes and SPD pedals I can walk in comfortably. https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Rumble-Shoe ... B00NEX465K I have another set of SPD-SL shoes and pedals for one road bike. But walking in those shoes is close to impossible.

You can also get SPD/platform pedals to have both. https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A530- ... B001MZ2AGO

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... edals.html
Brian

I've had toe clips, with straps, on my Peugeot since it was new, over 45 years ago. I like them on a street bike because they position your foot in the ideal position to generate the most power, your foot doesn't slip off, and it allows you to "ankle around" and pull up as well, generating even more force, which you cannot do without clips.
OTOH, I wouldn't have toe clips on a mountain bike for obvious reasons.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

inomaha wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:42 pm I put a pair of SPD pedals on the bike that started this thread. The pedals cost more then the bike. You can see the original clips I had on it.

I think I'm up to $75 in stuff on it now. Fenders, pedals, rack, etc. The bike cost me $10.
Forgive my OldTimer's condition...what bike is this that you got for $10?

Well, after a winter of focused procrastinating, :blush: I finally finished truing the front wheel on my "antique" Peugeot--back wheel is done. Now it's time to re-install the drum-tumbled MAFAC brakes and install all-new brake cables. Then it will be ready to ride again.

I considered installing new wheels and spokes, but I've never woven a new wheel and it seemed a great way to f*** things up. No way I'm giving up the Normandy hubs, my FAVORITE original component on the bike!

This is arriving for my wife and son on Monday. My son is about to outgrow his 24" bike. I noticed at the kids races the other day a lot of folks putting their kids on small frame 29's. When my son has outgrown it, which will be only a year or two, it will become my wife's trail bike, which I have been trying to talk her into for a while. Bwhahahah!!

http://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-111-Bike-2016
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am This is arriving for my wife and son on Monday. My son is about to outgrow his 24" bike. I noticed at the kids races the other day a lot of folks putting their kids on small frame 29's. When my son has outgrown it, which will be only a year or two, it will become my wife's trail bike, which I have been trying to talk her into for a while. Bwhahahah!!

Whoa! Too rich for my blood! But it sure is pretty!

Women's bikes are generally proportioned differently due to their (on average) longer legs for their height. So that leads to my question: Will she be comfortable on it?

Mason wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am This is arriving for my wife and son on Monday. My son is about to outgrow his 24" bike. I noticed at the kids races the other day a lot of folks putting their kids on small frame 29's. When my son has outgrown it, which will be only a year or two, it will become my wife's trail bike, which I have been trying to talk her into for a while. Bwhahahah!!

That will be a whole lot of fun! And a great price! I'm interested to hear how he adjusts to the 24" to 29" jump.

YT, I know my wife's bike fit relatively well after 16 years. If she dosn't like it, I'll move the components to a bigger frame for the boy or just sell it outright.

I feel VERY sure she will LOVE the ride once she discovers what a bike like that can do in almost ANY trail condition. Any minor fit issues I can address. If you've never ridden a modern trail bike you just have to to understand. She never has but she loves purpose built swoopy singletrack and that bike will eat it up!

Thanks for your vote of confidence AOTK. It is a smoking deal!
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:02 pm YT, I know my wife's bike fit relatively well after 16 years. If she dosn't like it, I'll move the components to a bigger frame for the boy or just sell it outright.

I feel VERY sure she will LOVE the ride once she discovers what a bike like that can do in almost ANY trail condition. Any minor fit issues I can address. If you've never ridden a modern trail bike you just have to to understand. She never has but she loves purpose built swoopy singletrack and that bike will eat it up!

Thanks for your vote of confidence AOTK. It is a smoking deal!
Mason, I'm sure you'd know. But I just thought I'd raise the question. I'm amazed that even ones in the $500-$1000 range like my Motobecane rides INCREDIBLY well on the street, even though it's not a hybrid. Haven't tried it off-road yet, but as an older guy I plan on sticking to milder trails!

I had thought to get one with rear suspension as well, but considered that both overkill and extra weight, especially for me.

Well, the new Kona arrived yesterday. I'm not sure my son is going to get much time on it. It fits my wife perfectly and she loves the ride. It's definitely a bike that you are "in" rather than on. Even I, way to tall for it, can feel that when I ride it. The wagon wheels coupled with the four or so inches of good travel make it just steam roll over everything. The only thing I would change, actually, are the wheels. They are a bit heavy and over built for my wife but will be fine for a couple of years.

Now to find a day to play hooky from work and get it into the woods...

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:43 am Well, the new Kona arrived yesterday. I'm not sure my son is going to get much time on it. It fits my wife perfectly and she loves the ride. It's definitely a bike that you are "in" rather than on. Even I, way to tall for it, can feel that when I ride it. The wagon wheels coupled with the four or so inches of good travel make it just steam roll over everything. The only thing I would change, actually, are the wheels. They are a bit heavy and over built for my wife but will be fine for a couple of years.

Now to find a day to play hooky from work and get it into the woods...
YES! Overbuilt is better than underbuilt. I am so jealous right now. We are so close to open trails, yet so far away. F-ing rain!