VW Diesel: Would you get one?

Considering upgrading the 2007 Toyota Corolla. Only got 94K miles on it, so I might get something out of it, if I sell it now.

Looking at the recently re-programmed and made available to dealers, VW Diesels. I am not a big fan of the DSG auto transmission, and the missus is OK with me getting a manual trans, as long as it is a Jetta Sportwagon.

Anyone have experience with these diesel engines? I have faith that the transmission will run a long time. What else could go wrong on the folks wagon?

Re: VW Diesel: Would you get one?

I had a Jetta wagon 6 speed manual tdi. I fucking loved it. Only made it to 30,000 miles prior to turning it in under the emissions recall (California made repair impossible). Fun to drive, carried a load, blasted up hills at altitude and returned 45 to 50 mpg no matter how hard I drove it. Managed a consistent 50 to 52 with all freeway driving.

I can't remember when I didn't hate Volkswagons. When, in 1985, the US dropped the 5mph bumper bash (with no damage), the VW Rabbit, which passed the year before, had FRAME DAMAGE and had to be totaled. Consumer Reports did the test and the Rabbit did the worst. VW, unlike many other manufacturers, had totally re-engineered the Rabbit so it was LESS SAFE!
Now we know their pattern of cheating and lack of concern for their customers and the environment didn't change over more than 30 years.

VW can got fuck themselves and go out of business for all I care.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I've had two Jetta TDIs and a Passat TDI. I've liked the Jettas, first one was the 2008 TDI which was t-boned and the replacement was a 2013 TDI. I put 120K miles on the first one without problems, and 70K on the second one which has only needed a wheel bearing replacement. Maintenance is pricey but they've been reliable and average 40-45 mpg with mixed city/highway driving. I've driven both across the country a couple times and they've both been daily drivers.

The Passat is OK, it's an automatic so it doesn't feel as quick and torquey as the Jetta. Comfortable for long drives, just feels bigger than I like. Also reliable.

I would buy a Tiguan TDI when the Jetta passes 300K miles (currently at 140K) if they were still being made. I doubt that VW will continue TDIs, at least for the American market, and I think they will start rolling out electric cars in the future.

Be cautions. Some versions were equipped with unit injectors (the so-called 'pumpeduse' models), and those are known to have premature cam failures. Not sure when VW ditched those.

I'm a huge fan of diesels. I've owned 5 diesel cars and a Dodge Ram. My current one is a 2014 Chevy Cruze diesel. I'd like to see VW get back in the diesel car game but I'm pretty sure they hosed it for themselves, at least.
Good luck.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I've had a string of VWs starting in 1984 and ending with the death of my second TDI Pasat. I did all my own maintenance - it was the only way I could keep driving them. I not only wouldn't buy another diesel from any company but wouldn't buy another VW. There's no way to make diesel emissions nearly as clean as gasoline and the soot emissions not only damage people's lungs but they're also a contributor to how quickly we're losing ice. For me it's simple: No plug, no deal.

The engines themselves do last a long time. I put more than 500,000 miles on my two used Passats. The second finally died for good with 430,000 miles on the odometer - on the original engine and transmission. The first key to keeping a Euro diesel alive is to use man-made synthetic oil that meets the appropriate OEM spec. Euro manufacturers tailor oil performance requirements for each family of engines. The unit injector TDIs that beaurrr mentioned were failing early partially because of a bad batch of camshafts that weren't properly hardened, and because people in the US were trying to run 10,000 mile oil changes with US petroleum-based oil. The same problem cost Daimler-Benz millions in class-actions in the US and Canada.
https://www.autonews.com/article/200209 ... t-oil-suit
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... 3000170102

In the world outside of North America, synthetic engine oil is made either from a polyalphaolephin (PAO) or an ester base, but usually a combination. In the US, thanks to a marketing suit with, of all places, the national advertising council of the Better Business Bureau, heavily processed petroleum can be legally sold as 'synthetic' in North America. It's possible for some very strong synthetic blends (like Mobil 1 tri-synthetic) to meet some VW or Benz specs, most can only be met with 'real' synthetic lubes. Here's the fun part: Most US VW dealers don't use compliant oils.

Early TDIs required VW 505.00. The PD/unit injector engines needed 505.01. There are newer specs for current engines.

If you're considering a TDI, spend some quality time on Fred's TDI Club researching what goes wrong and how well (or not) the US dealer network is able to help. You'll also want to get a copy of VagCom and a cable - it'll let you diagnose and repair your car. Good hunting.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have some experience owning one of the more modern diesels.

I have a 2011 Golf TDI (MK6) with a 6-speed that has all the recall stuff on it. It's a fun, torquy little thing, but if I had to go back and do it all over again, I most likely wouldn't have bought it.

There's a few big cons that no one ever talks about with these cars. For one, the manual doesn't suggest putting more than B5 (Bio 5%) diesel in it. If you've ever had a diesel, then you'll know the fuel system is one of the most sensitive parts of the entire car. It's even more sensitive with modern common-rail diesels that are running at extremely high pressure. Another thing is that, while not required, they suggest running a cetane of 50 or above (think octane for diesels). Most American diesels are below that at anywhere from 40 to 47. I used to just run the diesel at whatever it was out of the pump, but after trying booster in it, you defiantly notice a difference. I went from getting about 39MPG @70MPH, to about 43MPG. It also sounds way quieter than it was pre-booster. The last big disadvantage to them is finding the oil. They do inform you to only use VW 507.00 oil in it. This oil is honestly a pain in the arse to find. And when you can find it, it's about $40 for 5L of it.

With all those cons, the engines are reliable, as long as you take care of them correctly. If you're willing to put up with all the pains they can be, then go ahead and buy one. They're fun to mod, and the VW community highly respects them.

I'm on my second VW Jetta TDI, both have the manual transmission.

1st was a 2002 sedan (5 speed) that got excellent mileage 50+/40, it had 187K on it and looked almost new, did the maintenance as directed and it served me well until it was totaled in 2010.
2nd is a 2010 TDI sedan, (6 speed) I was caught up in the "Scandal", end result was my cars was "down-tuned" to meet so-called EPA specs, it hampered the vehicles mileage and performance.

The Jetta Sportwagan is a nice ride, the concern is the if it has the DSG you will need to do the maintenance on it as stated - every 40K, it can be pricey ($300-400).
If you find a manual transmission unit or the Triptronic automatic are worth considering.
The Pumpeduse mentioned in an earlier post is not part of the EPA/VW issue, those are 2005-2007 models - it's a different engine altogether - the models covered are 2009-2017.
I don't have trouble finding oil (VW spec 507) I use AMS Oil European Formula after I found a local dealer. Dealerships will have it, but I shy away from them.
I've found two good websites to order Synthetic Oil from for non-AMS oil, I believe Mobil One and Castrol also make a VW spec 507 rated oil which shouldn't be hard to find.
https://www.idparts.com/catalog/
https://www.ecstuning.com/

The year modles 2012-2015 were "decanted" interiors, what was considered sub-standard by TDI Heads, the fit and finish were cheaper, this was done by VW to lower the price and get more buyers
into a Jetta TDI, The Jetta Sportwagon was a much nicer car with far better fit and finish.

With regard to biodiesel, the 2007-2017 can't use more that 5-10% Bio due to fume collection system which can dilute the oil, BIO is hard to find anyway, at least in WI.
After "The Fix" VW did on my vehicle, I went and got a mild "tune" for it, my mileage has been restored to pre-fix.
I'm on a Forum that caters to these cars and there is a National List of TDI Guru's and reviews on them - I don't darken the door od a Dealership unless it's warranty work or a recall item.

The TDI's have their quirks, as long as you do the maintenance as directed, you'll be rewarded with a nice ride and a fun, comfy car. I wouldn't turn mine away during the "VW Payoff/Buyback".
VW set up a deal where you take X amount, get the fix and keep the vehicle, or take X amount (which was higher) and VW takes it back. Also an extended warranty to 120K covering the entire motor trane and other parts/systems like the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that most TDI's have.

I'm pleased with both TDI's I've owned, I'd still be driving the 2002, so I'll drive the 2010 for another 5-10 years until Electrics mature or I'll get a Hybrid, certainly not a Prius they're quite ugly,
and the smugness of the advertising from Toyota - please don't insult by telling all who listen, they're saving the world one Prius at a time...where have I heard that before...Talmud. :thumbsdown:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Get them while you can VW has seen the light and is going all electric with no diesel being made. As for the Prius being ugly, they are no worse than the remake of the VW Bug. I like that 57 mpg I get on my 2013 Prius. Wife has the Honda Accord Hybrid, after her Prius was totaled, she likes it. I am going to trade in my Prius for a RAV4 Hybrid next month when the dealer get the 2019 in stock.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

MaxwellG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am I'm on my second VW Jetta TDI, both have the manual transmission.

1st was a 2002 sedan (5 speed) that got excellent mileage 50+/40, it had 187K on it and looked almost new, did the maintenance as directed and it served me well until it was totaled in 2010.
2nd is a 2010 TDI sedan, (6 speed) I was caught up in the "Scandal", end result was my cars was "down-tuned" to meet so-called EPA specs, it hampered the vehicles mileage and performance.

The Jetta Sportwagan is a nice ride, the concern is the if it has the DSG you will need to do the maintenance on it as stated - every 40K, it can be pricey ($300-400).
If you find a manual transmission unit or the Triptronic automatic are worth considering.
The Pumpeduse mentioned in an earlier post is not part of the EPA/VW issue, those are 2005-2007 models - it's a different engine altogether - the models covered are 2009-2017.
I don't have trouble finding oil (VW spec 507) I use AMS Oil European Formula after I found a local dealer. Dealerships will have it, but I shy away from them.
I've found two good websites to order Synthetic Oil from for non-AMS oil, I believe Mobil One and Castrol also make a VW spec 507 rated oil which shouldn't be hard to find.
https://www.idparts.com/catalog/
https://www.ecstuning.com/

The year modles 2012-2015 were "decanted" interiors, what was considered sub-standard by TDI Heads, the fit and finish were cheaper, this was done by VW to lower the price and get more buyers
into a Jetta TDI, The Jetta Sportwagon was a much nicer car with far better fit and finish.

With regard to biodiesel, the 2007-2017 can't use more that 5-10% Bio due to fume collection system which can dilute the oil, BIO is hard to find anyway, at least in WI.
After "The Fix" VW did on my vehicle, I went and got a mild "tune" for it, my mileage has been restored to pre-fix.
I'm on a Forum that caters to these cars and there is a National List of TDI Guru's and reviews on them - I don't darken the door od a Dealership unless it's warranty work or a recall item.

The TDI's have their quirks, as long as you do the maintenance as directed, you'll be rewarded with a nice ride and a fun, comfy car. I wouldn't turn mine away during the "VW Payoff/Buyback".
VW set up a deal where you take X amount, get the fix and keep the vehicle, or take X amount (which was higher) and VW takes it back. Also an extended warranty to 120K covering the entire motor trane and other parts/systems like the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that most TDI's have.

I'm pleased with both TDI's I've owned, I'd still be driving the 2002, so I'll drive the 2010 for another 5-10 years until Electrics mature or I'll get a Hybrid, certainly not a Prius they're quite ugly,
and the smugness of the advertising from Toyota - please don't insult by telling all who listen, they're saving the world one Prius at a time...where have I heard that before...Talmud. :thumbsdown:
I'd say if you have to order it online, then it's hard to get.

I don't know the maintenance on a DSG, but I'd say it's worth it. They're way more fun than a standard auto, and are faster shifters than the 6-speed.