Re: New Hunter

Here in NC there is grassroots movement that is pushing conservatives into the democratic party. 30 years ago everyone in NC was a registered democrat. If you registered as a republican you had no voice in local elections. They were settled in the democratic primary. Many are considering taking the democratic party back. The tea party nuts and the people who want to use the republican party as vehicle to push their religious beliefs down everyone's throats are driving moderates out. Here is a perfect example, Mike McIntyre. He is a Representative from the seventh district. http://mcintyre.house.gov/index.php?opt ... 6&Itemid=8
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Ummm..... WTF are you trying to say to me?

goosekiller wrote: Where do i begin...

Please do not get your fleur-de-lis emblazened panties all in a wad, but my experience has differed.

I disagree with all of the above wholeheartedly. I deal with a couple hundred mud heads every season and i see very little progress on the political awareness front. That does not, however, keep them from running their mouths like they know something.
"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts. I support them. I won't chip away at them."
– Mitt Romney in a 2002 gubernatorial debate

One thing I forgot to mention is hunting alone is very difficult for a newbie. Two experienced hunters working together will take as much game as five solo hunters. In my earlier post I wasn't trying to hijack the thread but I was trying to give you hope of finding a kindred spirit or at least someone you can tolerate.

I know money does't grow on trees but hunting with a professional guide will allow you to learn in dog years. You will learn more in a 4 day hunt with a pro guide than 2 years with a so so hunter.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

And what are the chances that this guide will be a Democrat? Really, we (Liberals that hunt) are almost extinct. I'm just saying...
OldCrow wrote:One thing I forgot to mention is hunting alone is very difficult for a newbie. Two experienced hunters working together will take as much game as five solo hunters. In my earlier post I wasn't trying to hijack the thread but I was trying to give you hope of finding a kindred spirit or at least someone you can tolerate.

I know money does't grow on trees but hunting with a professional guide will allow you to learn in dog years. You will learn more in a 4 day hunt with a pro guide than 2 years with a so so hunter.
"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts. I support them. I won't chip away at them."
– Mitt Romney in a 2002 gubernatorial debate

WhoDat wrote:Ummm..... WTF are you trying to say to me?

goosekiller wrote: Where do i begin...

Please do not get your fleur-de-lis emblazened panties all in a wad, but my experience has differed.

I disagree with all of the above wholeheartedly. I deal with a couple hundred mud heads every season and i see very little progress on the political awareness front. That does not, however, keep them from running their mouths like they know something.
I simply disagree with the five premises set forth.

I know many hunting and fishing guides that are Democrats.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Re: Old hunter

I didn't think that liberals liked guns more or less owned them . I am a gun owner & I have 5 weapons & I haven't been hunting in a wile . I usually go by my self or I have another friend that likes to go hunting with me .
When I get a chance I go up to MN every duck hunting season & hunt ducks . Its the only way for me to get revenge for those dam birds always shitting on my car . My grandfather takes the duck meat I just like hunting for sport . I personally don't like the taste for duck . If I kill a deer or so I usually keep some of the meet & I donate the rest to a food bank .
So if any liberals want to bitch you know where to find me. And my Grammar is wonderful. :drunklep:

This thread reminds me, I'm going to have to take another Hunters ed course when I get to Co. I don't have the papers from my first one here and I really want to hunt Elk this year.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Reading this thread that I started a couple years ago reminds me that I need to spend more time doing what I enjoy and less time serving on boards and committees. I've only been hunting a couple times since I first posted and am still a novice hunter. I've also mellowed in the last couple of years and would be happy to hunt with anyone regardless of their politics. Cheney excluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

1. You will probably not find many "liberals" who are experienced hunters. Sorry, but that's just a fact. And it's because most "liberals" don't like guns or hunting. One only had to look at the recent convention to see that most of our fellow Democrats think all gun owners are wack jobs. I could go on about this, and have been for a while, but "liberal" gun enthusiasts and hunters are pretty much forsaken and forgotten by our own party.
Minnesota wishes to disagree. Lots of Dems, lots of guns, lots of hunting. Get out of the big city and avoid college profs (some hunt). I live in a small town, with a high school trap squad that looks to have half the school involved.
It may be a mistake to categorize people by political beliefs. My personal opinion is that liberal/conservative beliefs depend on the issue and how it screws up your life. As about half the homes in MN have a fire arm, taking guns would piss off half the population, including a big bunch of the Dems, including our governor.

A good dog is really a great addition to the hunt. Even a bad day can be fun just watching the dog work. Beware though-the dog does know when you miss the easy shot. There is a look they develop when this occurs frequently.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Zombie thread of doom, reanimated to life by a drive by trolling. Nice!

That said, haven't been hunting in decades. Will hopefully remedy that in the next couple of years in northern Cali. Oh, and one of my good friends makes a good living as a guide for hunting. Everything from bow to shotgun, deer and fishing. And he's a lifelong democrat.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Since when does the act of eating determine politics?

I hunt because I like to:

1) keep critters out of my garden

and

2) eat meat

and

3) the critters that get into my garden (rabbit, squirrel, deer) taste good.

Why would this automatically make me conservative? Not all liberals are vegans.

Anyhow, as the actual thread goes (as opposed to the political bickering):

Yes, liberal hunting can get lonely at times, but hunting is a lonely undertaking--deer camp drunkenness aside (fun as it is), hunting is mostly (in my experience, and knowledge from others') is about finding and waiting. Learn the habits of your chosen game, learn your area, and then use it to select the place and time at which you wait (or flush). You don't actually need other people for this, though it does take a bit more time to sort these things out for yourself.

This, by the way, is why a guide can teach you so much--this sort of thing takes time, and they've put in that time. Who cares what party they've voted for?