Re: What are your hunting plans for the coming year?

Want to ship some of that find wild pork my way??

I'm planning on getting back into hunting after a 20 year hiatus- haven't done it since I was a kid. On my list is a new (to me) 12 gauge and a 22, planning on doing some small game and bird. We'll see if I decide to go on the great deer hunt this year with some friends, I may decide that the new MN needs to be broken in!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Hope to chase some squirrels, bunnies, pheasants, grouse, ducks & a deer this coming year. If I can get out after some grouse, that would be new for me. Problem is that with out a dog, birding is ... difficult... at best.

Far as I know, no pigs up here or I'd be happy to chase them.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I'll be retired next fall and late september through november is mine. I personally did not bag a deer but the guy I hunted with did. I was part of the overall effort that produced the venison so I get a share. Next year I plan on doubling the meat in the freezer. Grouse hunting is the foreplay for the deer hunting climax.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Well, I have time and no money, so I'm using that to get my hunter's safety certification.

When I do get some money, I would like to try my hand at some pork. It's one of the few game animals I enjoy eating and it's one of the cheapest to hunt here in CA...it would actually pencil-out money wise. It's just a lot of cash up front with the tags and buying a freezer.

I never took a liking to deer, which is good, because I could buy a freezer full of steak for what it costs to hunt them in this state.

Does anyone know of a hunter's co-op organization, where hunters could trade game? I love pork, but I think even I would get tired of it after a 100lbs or so. Would rather trade half for some turkey. Between a gun and a plow, I could get my own club sammich. :-)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I want to get a better beat on the bucks here, they are huge. I was worried that I'd have crappy tree stand placement but ( a few times) I beat some locals to the same spot they've been hunting for the last 30 years.
Thinking about going for grouse, but I'd have to travel a little bit for that. I get spoiled getting to hunt by walking across a back road.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

I hope to find time to slay some feral pigs, will try to get tags for elk and deer, and in the meantime work on my marksmanship skills.

Just purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag, and will be working on setting it up for long range hunting.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Not really a plan but I've been wanting to blather.

I got a rabbit with my bow last week. About 15 yds. Surprise shot of opportunity while practicing. In the chest and out the right lung. He's in the freezer. :)

I'm hoping to go after some Hogs in California with my brother in law this summer.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Not really a plan but I've been wanting to blather.

I got a rabbit with my bow last week. About 15 yds. Surprise shot of opportunity while practicing. In the chest and out the right lung. He's in the freezer. :)

I'm hoping to go after some Hogs in California with my brother in law this summer.
Will you be using reloaded ammo, if so what load?
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

FYI, out of state tags are insanely expensive in CA. 71 bucks just for the pig tag, plus paying CA for the privelege of shooting her animals. I don't see any short-term permits, so that's another $155.

Oh, and you have to have a license fromanother state.

Just completed my for my hunting license (first perfect score my range has seen in 10 years), but I just dont have the cash to hunt anything yet. Plus, the only game I could really hunt with my current rifle would be pigs at less than 40 yards, which is a pretty big handicap...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

eelj wrote:
Mason wrote:Not really a plan but I've been wanting to blather.

Will you be using reloaded ammo, if so what load?
Tossed up between my XL7 aught six and my muzzleloader. I have some decent Sierra 130's loaded and some SST 180's.

Senor, I am aware. I've bought them before and then failed to kill a pig. :evil:
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

This year, I bought licenses and tags for two turkey, one elk and one deer. Whether I'll fill them will have to be seen, since I am by no means an experienced hunter. It'll be my third turkey season, and I struck out the first two times, and it'll be my first time pursuing ungulates, since I only bought a rifle suitable for the purpose six months ago, a Ruger Scout. (Okay, I have a Mosin-Nagant m.1891/30 that would do in the ballistics department, but not so much in the user-friendly controls area.)
Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He'd been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands To Reason, and was now a post-graduate student of the University of What Some Bloke In The Pub Told Me. -- Terry Pratchett, Jingo