Re: What are your hunting plans for the coming year?

I put a 40 gallon stock tank and a salt block where I can shoot out of the window of my barn. I have the 91/30 primed for the 45 yard shot I would need to take a deer in that area. That is all the hunting I really need to do.

I gave a walker puppy to a friend to start a pack. The puppy has moved indoors so his kids can play with it 24/7. I have 5 two year old walkers now. I don't need any puppies for a couple more years. Anyone want an American foxhound (AKA Walker) that can be registered? I have 4 more that need a new home. By the time the puppies are 2 they will run the hair off of anything you train them to run.

I'm planning on hunting nearly everything I can.

Oregon has this brilliant "Sports Pac" game license - for $164.75 it "includes a Combination Angling/Hunting License, black bear tag (general season or controlled 700 series, not leftover bear tags), general cougar tag, one elk and one deer tag (general season or controlled 100 and 200 series hunts, not leftover deer and elk tags), upland game bird validation, Oregon waterfowl validation, spring turkey and combined angling harvest tag"

I've already taken in some shellfish with it, going to get some angling gear (fresh and saltwater) and be the terror of the waters.

The only things I'm not actually planning on hunting are geese and rabbits (Mama Bear's got childhood associations with both that keeps them off the menu), bear and cougar (you keep the tags on you JUST IN CASE you have an encounter, it helps smooth out the paperwork), bison, goats, wolves and crows.

That leaves me with... grouse, dove, ducks, turkey, elk, deer, squirrels and all kinds of fish. Mama Bear and I are also looking at going pig hunting - they're a relatively new nuisance here in Oregon and the ODFW wants us to eradicate them. Sounds good to me!
My blog - Bear Left Guns

Rem 760 .30-06, Ruger Single Six, Remington Nylon 66

senorgrand wrote:No shit. Job market sucked when I was there 20 years and hasn't improved much.

I would love to raise the kids in Corvallis. Let me know if you hear of anyone in Salem that needs a political flak. ;)
We always need flaks, especially good ones. What's your skillset, I'll keep an ear out. PM me details if ya don't want 'em public :) Heck, there are some major global interests here, and the human resources they need is occasionally quite interesting.
My blog - Bear Left Guns

Unfortunately, my time spent hunting and fishing has declined with my fiancé in the picture. :no:

Fortunately, my family just leased a piece of ground to deer hunt on this year. So instead of needing to hunt 6-7 days to kill 1-2 deer on public ground, I can probably take care of that in 2-3 days.

I've been wanting to go back out west antelope hunting. The last couple years have been devoted to salmon fishing in the fall. My dad wants to go fishing again this October...I'm still on the fence.

I would like to go hog hunting. The hunts themselves are pretty reasonable at 400-600 dollars plus gas. Of course if you get a trophy, add another 400-500.

mahkagari wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:I would like to go hog hunting. The hunts themselves are pretty reasonable at 400-600 dollars plus gas. Of course if you get a trophy, add another 400-500.
Where are you hunting? That seems high to me.
Let me rephrase that

If I was to get a trophy and wanted to mount it, the taxidermy fee would be 400-500.

Here's a couple places that have a good reputation close to me. For 35-50 bucks, you might as well have them dress it out and quarter it unless you get it in the morning. Figure a tip as well.

http://www.cuzandcuzwildhoghunting.com/ ... rhunt.html
http://allabouturanch.com/page/hog-hunting

I went with my bride to our club range yesterday for some target shooting, brought my Hunter Arms double just for the hell of it and low and behold took a grouse at the range. Thats Grouse one hope to have about 40 or so in the freezer before my double gets put away for the year.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Hitting up duck for a first time for me come saturday... here in WA we can only duck hunt on Weds, Sat, and Sun... so I'll be able to get some after work jump shooting in on Weds. then decent stuff on the weekends.

Was able to secure some private land to hunt from where the land owner is seeing deer, elk, moose and bear... so I think I'll pick up an elk and bear tag to go with my deer tag.

Would be nice to get that hat trick.
HAHAHAHA
Yee received 287,590 votes.
http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... eland-yee/

Yee/Shrimpboy 2016!
Hip Hop To that.

The area I picked for elk hunting was full of more elk than you could shake a stick at... until the day before opening day. I misjudged the potential human influx and all of the elk suddenly had more important places to be.

We saw a LOT of sign on opening morning that was less than 24 hours old, but only put eyes on the south half of a northbound elk on opening day, and nothing at all for the next two. Everywhere we got out to hunt was littered with poo and tracks, but the animals were apparently on their way to Maui. We heard no bugling at all and less than a half-dozen gunshots all weekend.

Oh well. Deer season picks back up Saturday, and I'm thinking about trying my hand at turkey and upland birds.
My blog - Bear Left Guns

doing another duck trip next sunday, and then the weekend after there will be a several day late season deer hunt. Got some private land that has deer beds on it, so I should have some luck if I can find a 4 pointer, which is the area minimum for a late season hunt.

My grinder and sausage stuffer is ready...
HAHAHAHA
Yee received 287,590 votes.
http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... eland-yee/

Yee/Shrimpboy 2016!
Hip Hop To that.

I think I'm taking my kid on his first hunting trip next weekend. Really we're just going camping while his mom is in CA helping her sick mother but since we're camping in a national forest during muzzleloader season, I'm making it a hunting trip. Nothing serious but I'm looking forward to waking the little guy up at o dark thirty to go for a quiet walk in the woods with his dad, a rifle and a silly orange hat.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese