Re: "Sport" Lion Hunting

mahkagari wrote:
gendoikari wrote:everybody likes to complain about these canned african hunts but the truth of the matter is the proceeds from theme are what keep some of these species alive.
Yeah, I point out that the $60,000 for the lion tag is going to go a LONG way in preserving its progeny. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to make a donation in the same amount for said purpose.

I do love how the people in the comments are calling the guy who just stood up after getting thrown down by a charging lion "a coward" for using a gun. Yeah, uh....you go out there with a pocketknife and then call me back.
The rite of passage for Massai men was to go hunt a lion with a spear, maybe one of them should call you back. That can be respected. Hunting anything with a high powered rifle from a distance that the animal is not even aware of you when it is shot is not hunting, it's killing, and there is a big difference.
Hunting groups are some of the most hypocritical groups out there. Groups like Duck Unlimited that pass themselves off as environmentalists while fighting lead restrictions and bagging limits are far worse than PETA, a group that political lightweights love to hate while not being able to say why.

Re: "Sport" Lion Hunting

Awake wrote:
mahkagari wrote:
gendoikari wrote:everybody likes to complain about these canned african hunts but the truth of the matter is the proceeds from theme are what keep some of these species alive.
Yeah, I point out that the $60,000 for the lion tag is going to go a LONG way in preserving its progeny. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to make a donation in the same amount for said purpose.

I do love how the people in the comments are calling the guy who just stood up after getting thrown down by a charging lion "a coward" for using a gun. Yeah, uh....you go out there with a pocketknife and then call me back.
The rite of passage for Massai men was to go hunt a lion with a spear, maybe one of them should call you back. That can be respected. Hunting anything with a high powered rifle from a distance that the animal is not even aware of you when it is shot is not hunting, it's killing, and there is a big difference.
Hunting groups are some of the most hypocritical groups out there. Groups like Duck Unlimited that pass themselves off as environmentalists while fighting lead restrictions and bagging limits are far worse than PETA, a group that political lightweights love to hate while not being able to say why.
Ducks Unlimited has preserved a lot of wildlife habitat. Lead shot in the water is a drop in the bucket when compared to the amount of lead put in the water by industry and shipping. Hunting groups as whole preserve more habitat than any other group. Every hunter that owns land does a little something to preserve wildlife. Hunters love the animals they hunt and do everything they can to make sure the animals they hunt have a place to thrive. I read PETA's mission statement habitat preservation is not even one of their goals. There is not enough space in this forum to write all the reasons I despise PETA and similar groups.