Keep or sell my Savage?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do...

I have a pre-accutrigger Savage 110. Overall, it is a good quality made entry level gun that I bought when I was about 20; though it is rather crude with a cheap small safety, a very hard bolt throw/cock (which also bloodies my thumb nuckle from time to time hitting the scope), and a trigger about 6 pounds (which I've seen much worse...)

So I'm thinking about doing one of two things:

1. Buy an aftermarket trigger for $100, use it for a couple more years and then also buy a Remington Woodmaster 750 autoloader. I'd then use the 750 for most of my big game hunting but save the Savage for when I am going to shoot over 200 yards.

2. Don't put $100 into a $250 rifle. Sell the Savage and use the money to buy a good high quality bolt action you can be proud of. Use that exclusively

Re: Keep or sell my Savage?

Use the Savage as is until you can buy a rifle you really love.

You're not me but I recommend you go to a gun show and fondle some CZ's. Beautiful wood or cool, quality (Not Tupperware like on Marlin, Savage, Rem, etc) synthetic stocks, good open sights on many of their big game guns, rock solid Mauser actions, settable triggers. Expect to drop $800-1000 but you'll likely not lust after another rifle for many years. I think they're actually pretty cheap considering the quality. They make my Marlin feel chintzy and unsubstantial, for lack of a better way to put it.

I handled both of these this past weekend. The Euro style stock looks a little strange but feels fantastic to me. The Mannlicher stock is available in most medium and long action calibers.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-med-lux/

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Well, if I had it already or found one like it cheap enough, I'd use it as a project gun. The basic receiver is sound so what would it need?

0) if it doesn't have iron sights, have them added
1) after market trigger
2) re-barrel (easy on Savage's) in something unusual. .257 AI Roberts possibly or 9.3x62. Remember you can switch calibers in about 15 minutes in a Savage 110 with it's barrel nut design. Going after ground hog? Put on the Bob barrel. Moose? Throw on the 9.3.
3) a nice wood stock from Boyd's. Mannlicher style would be nice.
4) mount a moderate to high end scope on it.

I'd do these things over a period of time and, yes, it would be gilding a sows ear - I'd probably spend $500 - 600 on a $200 rifle. That wouldn't bother me though I know it does some.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Mason wrote: You're not me but I recommend you go to a gun show and fondle some CZ's.
I guess this was about 10-12 years ago, everyone said CZ's were great guns. I went to look/buy one and the thing was full of machine marks (some 1/16" deep) and covered in rust. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Thinking this surely was a mistake, I went to another gunshop and they opened up 2 more brand new boxes and they both were identical to the first one. Since then, I've never wanted to take another look. Perhaps I will though...
wlewisiii wrote: That wouldn't bother me though I know it does some.
Yep, it bothers me to spend 100 :smart:

M4Builder wrote:Or you could sell it and buy a new Savage with the Accutrigger and do what you want it to and more.
I do not like the accutrigger or 2 stage triggers so I'd have to put an aftermarket trigger in it anyway. That being said, the new Savage is much nicer than the pre-accutrigger Savage (currently the Stevens) with gloss blue and jeweled bolt. I understand they are still harder to cock than some other brands.

senorgrand wrote:What caliber and what are you using it for?
Currently, I have a 7 rem mag. Primarily I go deer hunting, occassionally antelope. I would like to start making annual hog hunting trips. Additionally, I would like to go after mule deer, black bear, elk, caribou, Maine moose, and hopefully an African plains game trip once in my life. A 7mag would take care of that, though it wouldn't hurt to go a little bigger.

If I buy a Remington 750, I'd probably buy a 30-06. They like the 180's anyway so that would be appropriate on larger game.
If I had only the bolt action, I'd probably either buy another 7 rem mag, 300 win mag / wsm, 338 win mag, or perhaps even a 375 hh / ruger and load it down to a 375 win level.

Dude if you already shoot 7mm you have GOT to handle that CZ 550 Med Lux. It only comes in 7mm. All CZ triggers are single stage, single set. When set they are crazy light. Unset they are good but not heavy.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I always cringe when I see people hunting deer with a 7mm mag, way over kill. My suggestion is considering two rifles in different calibers to cover what you feel you will need in the future.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:I always cringe when I see people hunting deer with a 7mm mag, way over kill. My suggestion is considering two rifles in different calibers to cover what you feel you will need in the future.
If he would reload the 7mm doesent have to be overkill.

-John Cleese

I don't want to talk you out of a favored caliber I'm just speaking from experience. My biggest complaint is with all the unnecessary belted cases being sold to the public. I have seen deer shot with the 7mm mag and the slug after hitting a shoulder bone will blow through turning the lungs into strawberry jam and take the shoulder with it destroying a lot of meat and spreading disolved lead and gilding metal all through the meat. Of course if you reload you can experiment and come up with a load for each need.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw