Florida Dove Hunting

I am an old retired guy who would like to get out and do a little dove hunting this season. I know that yesterday, Oct.5 was opening day. My dilema is that I don't have a place to go. I am a little late to apply for the 1st and 2nd phases of the Wildlife Management Areas, but I did get a permit for a Saturday in the 3rd phase at the Hilochee WMA. I also got a spot at a hunting lodge near Okeechobee on the last day of the 2nd phase. It is a bit pricey, but it should be a good hunt. My question is, does anyone know of any hunts in central Florida or know of any farmers or ranchers who would let me hunt, even for a fee? I am open to any and all suggestions.
xvigauge

Re: Florida Dove Hunting

Thanks for the advice Curtism1234. I googled florida hunting forums and found one that had a thread on dove hunting. There was one post about a field that is just 45 minutes away. I called the number and the guy invited me out. And, I didn't even have to join the forum! So, I am going dove hunting after all. YEAH!!!!!
xvigauge

jubjub wrote:Good luck! Hope the hunt doesn't cost too much! Any plans to eat em?

This season I saw one. It had more game than the Red Baron, I had no chance hitting it.

The cost is $60 a hunt. You could blow a lot more than that on worse things (I know I have). I am a big soup/stew fan. I plan to put the doves into a wild game stew.
xvigauge

OK, that was last year. This season, 2014-15 I was determined not to be left out. So, I applied early and got a season permit, that's 10 hunts, for $150 for the Hilochee WMA Dove Field in central Florida. Have no idea on what the dove population forecast is for this season, but it will be great to get out in the fresh air a few times this Fall/Winter. Bagging a few birds will be a bonus.
xvigauge

North west Georgia, and I'm at a university so taking some time off during dove season does not seem to coincide with the academic calendar. Which seems kind of strange given its the south and all... Should be a holiday.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...