Re: A reminder for the hunters, be careful.

I recently found myself in a tree stand, sans harness. It wasn't much fun.

What's annoying is that the tree stand manufactures assoc. or some group has mandated that all tree stands come with a harness. Great idea. The problem is that the harness's they come with are very confusing to get into and the leg strap buckles are all but impossible to get threaded with cold hands.

A good harness is at least $100 generally. $150 will get you a nice harness/vest. Worth every penny.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:I recently found myself in a tree stand, sans harness. It wasn't much fun.

What's annoying is that the tree stand manufactures assoc. or some group has mandated that all tree stands come with a harness. Great idea. The problem is that the harness's they come with are very confusing to get into and the leg strap buckles are all but impossible to get threaded with cold hands.

A good harness is at least $100 generally. $150 will get you a nice harness/vest. Worth every penny.
Being a goodly-sized man, I'd just tie a swiss seat. Yet another vote for ground blind. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Having spent quite a lot of time in Swiss seat I can't think of anything more uncomfortable to wear while spendinh hours in a tree stand. To work the y need to be TIGHT. Plus,you'd possum if you needed it. I think extricating yourself would be difficult enough while upright.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I'm assuming you people are talking about the portable tree stands. The stands I use are permanent and made out of wood, never much higher than 9ft off the ground and they are maintained by the builder. I've never felt the need for a harness. I can see how they would be very important in a portable stand.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

ErikO wrote:I'll take advantage of the fact that MO allows ground blinds for deer.
IMO, groundblinds should be required to have minimum measurement of orange on all of the exterior walls.

I had a nice little scare last weekend when setting up my climber in preperation for this coming weekend. You're not supposed to put them in hickory trees, but the spot I will be hunting is full of them. So I get up in the tree, sit down, and am looking at the varouis shooting lanes when all of a sudden the top part of the stand I am sitting on falls 2-3 feet down to the bottom portion. I had enough sense to just stand up and let it happen; luckily the bottom held :blink:

I am going to be bringing a ratchet strap so the top won't be falling again...just have to take my chances with the bottom