Multi Species from a Kayak

This past Sunday I went Oystering for the first time. I've never been a huge fan of oysters but good grief, straight out of the Chesapeake they are awesome. I now understand the term "Oyster butter". While we were out there in our kayaks It occurred to me that it is currently, concurrently, Oyster, Striped Bass, Waterfowl and Deer season here and I am surrounded by marshes many of which are legally hunt-able. Usually when I hunt I am after a specific animal but it occurred to me why not just put gear in my kayak for any occurrence and head out into the marsh for the day and see what happens.

I have my 870 but it is looong and a pain to handle in the kayak. I also have my Baikal U/O 12ga/.30-06 which would be perfect save two things. 1) It is totally illegal to hunt with rifles here and I think a game warden having a bad day could possibly cite me for the rifle barrel even if I have no ammo. 2) I paid $300 for the Baikal about ten years ago. They have a bunch of them at my local gun shop at the moment and want over $800 for them now. I love it and would be pissed If I were to drop it in the drink.

Anyway, that's what the cheap shotgun thread I started was about. I think keeping a waterfowl load in the tube and some buckshot really handy would be the way to go. I think extractors, which what the Baikal has, not ejectors would be the way to go so as to not be flinging an unfired birdshot shell overboard should I need to change to buckshot in a hurry. I suppose a lanyard on the Baikal could be my answer, this is EXACTLY what it was made for, after all. A cheap 12/12 or 20/20 U/O would be perfect, but who ever heard of a cheap U/O?

Anybody else do anything like this?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Multi Species from a Kayak

Mason wrote:This past Sunday I went Oystering for the first time. I've never been a huge fan of oysters but good grief, straight out of the Chesapeake they are awesome. I now understand the term "Oyster butter". While we were out there in our kayaks It occurred to me that it is currently, concurrently, Oyster, Striped Bass, Waterfowl and Deer season here and I am surrounded by marshes many of which are legally hunt-able. Usually when I hunt I am after a specific animal but it occurred to me why not just put gear in my kayak for any occurrence and head out into the marsh for the day and see what happens.

I have my 870 but it is looong and a pain to handle in the kayak. I also have my Baikal U/O 12ga/.30-06 which would be perfect save two things. 1) It is totally illegal to hunt with rifles here and I think a game warden having a bad day could possibly cite me for the rifle barrel even if I have no ammo. 2) I paid $300 for the Baikal about ten years ago. They have a bunch of them at my local gun shop at the moment and want over $800 for them now. I love it and would be pissed If I were to drop it in the drink.

Anyway, that's what the cheap shotgun thread I started was about. I think keeping a waterfowl load in the tube and some buckshot really handy would be the way to go. I think extractors, which what the Baikal has, not ejectors would be the way to go so as to not be flinging an unfired birdshot shell overboard should I need to change to buckshot in a hurry. I suppose a lanyard on the Baikal could be my answer, this is EXACTLY what it was made for, after all. A cheap 12/12 or 20/20 U/O would be perfect, but who ever heard of a cheap U/O?

Anybody else do anything like this?
If you bag something from the air, land and water in one day you have earned a McNabb. Its Scottish. http://www.aswanley.com/when-is-the-roe ... -FAQS.html
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I have no comment on your main topic but I have to note that we are close enough to the Chesapeake Bay that we get very fresh oysters. We went to the nearest oyster place to us -- about 50 miles away from us, in Frederick, MD -- last Saturday and gorged on them. They are wonderful this year - big, succulent, and sweet. Much better than the frou-frou ones I get when I dine with my affluent daughter at chic places in Manhattan. Give me a place with brown paper on the table, a pile of lemon slices, and cocktail sauce in a squeeze bottle and I am in salt water heaven.

As you imply, it's all in the freshness.

Sorry for the diversion.

I just did a pawn shop tour. There's plenty to choose from. Right now it's between a Brazilian made spesco model 151 for $125 and an HR that someone actually has put a rear sight on for $100. Both are three inch chamber full choke.

I actually really like the Spesco but the H&R is cheaper and I'm more likely to find parts should I need them.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

So you can shoot deer with buckshot? If I'm not mistaken only slugs where I live. All the same it sounds like fun if you can pull it off in a single day.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Holy yikes. Dude... perfect timing for this topic. Ever heard of "cast and blast"?

I just finished an 8x10 work week. Finally get a break and am going to try out my brand new (used) kayak tomorrow. I started painting it up for duck hunting. I don't know exactly where I'm going in the next couple of days, but either Klamath Lake or the Willamette River or the coast. Found this off of Craigslist a week ago and have been so tied up with work that I couldn't work on it till now. I rattle-canned it with Rustoleum tonight but I'm not too happy with the green color. This is only the bottom so far, so not a big deal. Why the hell can't I find flat tan colors at Home Depot? The flat black was easy, but the flat brown only had a couple cans left. I went with "satin" hunter green for the final one. Nope. Not gonna fly. "Satin hunter green" looks like baby puke. Bright green and shiny.
Attachments
Duck boat 2.jpg
Duck boat 1.jpg