Total votes: 8 (73%)
358winchester - 20" barrel
Total votes: 3 (27%)
300wsm - 22" barrel (No votes)
Total votes: 11

Re: 308win, 358win, or 300wsm as a primary big game cartridg

curtism1234 wrote:
DocSkinner wrote:
Only thing 300WSM would have got him is longer range.
That and about 1000 foot pounds of energy. I am a big fan of energy. It's the difference between an animal dying on the spot vs running off and dying in a ravine or creek.

I have not got it yet. I did get to finally see one last week at a gunshow, though it was the steel version. An odd line with the humpback but I can get used to it. The hammer was surprisingly wide.

I also saw a new aluminum Browning A5 shotgun. I was very impressed with the feel (though not the price).

There is a level of energy required - and there is overkill. That extra 1000 means you have energy enough remaoining out past 600 yards.

Having hunted big game since 12, (30+ years now), you can do everything you want to do with the .308WIN and not suffer the recoil of the magnum. The only real reason to use the magnum is if you want griz/polar bear (although Inuits have been known to talk about stepping UP to .250 savage for big animals like polar bears...) and want to use 200gr+ bullets, or you want to do sniper snuff and try hunting out to 1000+yards. Or to say you are tough and shoot magnums.

Like with anything else - good shot placement is critical - a poor shot with either will still wind up with a long blood trail or lost animal, a good shot will drop the animal in about the same spot. Big difference will be how all that extra 1000ft# of energy gets soaked up in the backstop after the bullet travels through the carcass. The same shot with either cartridge at ranges under 600 yards will have the same effect, and the .308 will not beat the hell out of you (so also allow for faster follow up shot, if needed). That will also mean you practice more, flinch less, and shoot better, which the THE critical part regardless of cartridge.

If you like getting battered - go for it, but realize magnums aren't necessary to be effective at normal hunting ranges. I went through that phase when I was in my teens and 20's. Then finally realized how much I was abusing myself for energy not needed. I don't expect you to listen, yet. but I am putting it out there.

You will be happier, shoot better and shoot more, and take game just as efficiently (and cheaper) with the .308WIN (of those three). Plus - 308win, 30-06, 270WIN, 7mm magnum are pretty universal. Anywhere you go (in the world) that sells ammunition will have those rounds. Good luck on the others.
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

Heres a good link - http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

So with a 7.5# rifle - 15ft#s of recoil energy for .308 in 150gr
with a 8.25# rifle, 300WSM is 22.5ft#s for a 150gr.

If you are looking at a light weight rifle(which you are) that difference is magnified.

But - its your shoulder!
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

I voted 358, but the 300 WSM would do it, and with a wider selection of ammo. I have a 300 WinMag which I really like, but you said you don't want a long action.

Between my lever guns, 270, and 300 WinMag I have bases covered for North America and more.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)