Which one

308winchester - 20" barrel
Total votes: 8 (73%)
358winchester - 20" barrel
Total votes: 3 (27%)
300wsm - 22" barrel (No votes)
Total votes: 11

308win, 358win, or 300wsm as a primary big game cartridge

I'm pretty sure I've decided on a Browning BLR 81 in a short action as my wedding present.

Now to pick a cartridge :hmmm:

Currently, I have a bolt action 7mm rem mag that is kind of a beater rifle. I consider the 7mag to be the perfect deer cartridge and I know it can kill anything I would ever plan on hunting. However because it is a beater rifle with no sentimental value, I probably wouldn't want to use it on special trips I take. I would probably want to take this new rifle on any once in a lifetime trips.

So this new cartridge should be able to reliably take deer, hogs, blackbear, elk, caribou, moose, and larger african animals such as kudu, wildebeast, gemsbok, and zebra (not eland, I would have no desire to ever hunt them).

My choices I'm giving myself (based on the specs of the rifle) are the 308win, 358win, and 300wsm.

My concerns:

1. The 308win may not be enough cartridge for the larger game even with 180gr premium bullets, but would make a very good deer rifle and cover some of the larger game.

2. The 358win is better up close but at 300 yards probably no better than the 308. Plus I don't reload. Currently, Hornady is producing a good product at $30. In the end, all it is is a necked up 308 so reloading this soon to be extinct dinosaur may not be a deal killer. I call this a wildcard though because of this fact.

3. I'm not sure what kind of velocity is lost in a 22" barrel with the 300wsm. I think I can handle the recoil (as I can handle the 7mag in the same weight rig) but I am concerned all I'd have is a loudenboomer 30-06. It may not give me the edge I'm looking for when trying to hit these larger animals.

Thoughts?

Re: 308win, 358win, or 300wsm as a primary big game cartridg

I agree a long action would fit the bill quite nicely (I'd probably just get another 7mag) but there are 2 issues I personally have with it.

1. Pretty much everything I have read regarding the BLR says the long action rifles do not look as good as the short action rifles.

2. They are a pound heavier. My favorite weight for a rifle/scope combo is about 7 1/2 pounds - which a short action BLR with a lightweight scope plus mount/rings equals. A long action would bring that to 8 1/2 pounds, something I would really like to avoid.

As far as the 300wsm in a short barrel goes, I'm not sure what kind of velocity it throws out. I don't know if you lose anything with 22" vs 24-26" or if you lose 300-400fps???

With a 308, I don't think you lose anything with a 20".

Mason wrote:9.3x62, .35 Whelen?

[edit] After looking at the available chamberings I think the good old .30-06 is your best bet. If the .300wsm only gives around the same performance but is a barrel burner why bother? IIRC you're not a re-loader so another good reason for the .30-06.
I'd +1 on the .30-06. It's plenty powerful for anything but African Dangerous Big Game and you can get cheap(ish) training ammo for it, unlike the less common calibers. IMHO it's about the most versatile round on the market still.

whitey wrote:Man, no love for the 7mm rem mag :no:
I'd rather stalk a little closer and use 7x57 for that purpose. I believe the OP already has that in a different rifle. OTOH, they do make the BLR in 7mm-08 which is kissing cousin to the 7mm Mauser and that's a very sweet North American hunting cartridge.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I chose the .308win for you because you didn't say how big the game was you might select to take. This round with good shot placement will take anything in north America. I think the other two might be more punishment to you than would be worth the game you chase. 180 is a lot of grains if they're placed correctly.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The 338 Federal is a very interesting round I thought would catch on...but it's already as defunct as the 358win...and the 338 isn't chambered in the BLR anyway.

The 7-08 is an excellent round for deer and is getting more and more popular every year. For some reason, the ammo is super expensive for a standard cartridge. I think I'd rather stick with the 308 vs the 7-08 because it will shoot a heavier bullet.

To elaborate on what cdfingers said, I am reading a lot of quotes on forum along the lines of "a 308 will kill an elk just fine so long as you are selective with your shots".
What the hell does that mean? If you spend $6000 on an elk hunt and have a big bull at 300 yards quartering away ready to go back into the timber, you need to be shooting that thing. And if a 308 won't punch through 2feet of stomach filled with grass and reach the vitals, what good is it?

Whatever you decide, just remember that an Elk is merely a deer writ large. The only thing you have to be concerned with is having the range to reach it. For your hypothetical 300 year shot, in a good rifle with good glass any of the rounds here will do the job well. If you hit it with a 7mm or a .30 or .358 isn't going to make much difference so long as you can hit it.

Get what you feel will best allow you to reach out and touch that elk.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Mason wrote:Read this, Curtis.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htm

If I were going to buy that rifle in short action I would buy the .358 but I reload. Learn to reload and you can have your heavy bullets and decent mpbr. About 225yds with 250gr.
Here's another interesting article on it as well: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/358_wcf.htm
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

After much thought and research, I will get the 308win pending any new 2014 offering.

For deer (90+% of it's use), it's a good solid round with some of the cheapest ammo available. For larger game (10-% of it's use), there are some good factory choices out there that have a good reputation of working in Africa on large plainsgame. After a couple uses, I would know more. If I need to go bigger, well then I'll just have to buy a bigger rifle. If you can't add another $1000 to a hunt, you have no business going anyway.

curtism1234 wrote:After much thought and research, I will get the 308win pending any new 2014 offering.

For deer (90+% of it's use), it's a good solid round with some of the cheapest ammo available. For larger game (10-% of it's use), there are some good factory choices out there that have a good reputation of working in Africa on large plainsgame. After a couple uses, I would know more. If I need to go bigger, well then I'll just have to buy a bigger rifle. If you can't add another $1000 to a hunt, you have no business going anyway.

Good plan, I don't believe in any rifle being able to do it all and I would never pay for an expensive hunt to Africa and take a marginal rifle.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Get it yet? 308Win is an excellent all around choice.
I would like to get a 308 bolt. I bought a REM R25 (so AR in 308) thinking it wouldn't be too bad to hunt with, but it is just too damn heavy to lug around.

I would go with a .270 personally 1st choice for one rifle, but I like .308s as well. My uncle had 308WIN (in the BAR) and took deer, elk, and a moose all no problem.

Updates?
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

curtism1234 wrote:After much thought and research, I will get the 308win pending any new 2014 offering.

Okay, unless you're loaded, the cheap ammo is the best move.

I mean, it'll do the job, and because you can get milsurp ammo (and other cheap stuff) you can afford to practice, which is the only thing that matters. Shot placement is a fuck of a lot easier if you aren't counting pennies every time you go to the range. In North America, you aren't shooting elephants, after all ... the .308 in hands that can afford to be skilled is plenty.

rharper wrote:

Okay, unless you're loaded, the cheap ammo is the best move.

I mean, it'll do the job, and because you can get milsurp ammo (and other cheap stuff) you can afford to practice, which is the only thing that matters. Shot placement is a fuck of a lot easier if you aren't counting pennies every time you go to the range. In North America, you aren't shooting elephants, after all ... the .308 in hands that can afford to be skilled is plenty.

Only thing 300WSM would have got him is longer range.
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

DocSkinner wrote:
Only thing 300WSM would have got him is longer range.
That and about 1000 foot pounds of energy. I am a big fan of energy. It's the difference between an animal dying on the spot vs running off and dying in a ravine or creek.

I have not got it yet. I did get to finally see one last week at a gunshow, though it was the steel version. An odd line with the humpback but I can get used to it. The hammer was surprisingly wide.

I also saw a new aluminum Browning A5 shotgun. I was very impressed with the feel (though not the price).