Does already having a certain cartridge influence you?

I like 2 rifles of the same cartridge, makes things easy
Total votes: 10 (53%)
I like 2 rifles of the same cartridge, but it doesn't influence me
Total votes: 7 (37%)
I don't like 2 rifles of the same cartridge, variety is the spice of life
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Total votes: 19

Thoughts on multiple rifles using the same cartridge?

So here's my conundrum. I'm going back and forth on a Browning BLR and want to have a backup plan in case I change my mind.

What I'm debating is a Browning Abolt in a 7mag and a Winchester 70 Featherweight in a 3006.

I like the 7mag better than the 06 (both are "bang flop" deer rounds but the 7mag is by far the harder hitting round in 150gr bullets), but I like the Winchester better than the Browning (though the A-bolt is starting to grow on me more than it has in the past).

Now I do have a Savage 7mag with a synthetic stock on it and I would likely use the Savage in the event of rain, the likelihood of banging up a good wood stock, or to let my brother use if he's hunting with me.
So I could bring both guns with me at any time and not worry about ammo because they could shoot the same box.

What are your thoughts on having multiple rifles with the same cartridge?

Re: Thoughts on multiple rifles using the same cartridge?

curtism1234 wrote:So here's my conundrum. I'm going back and forth on a Browning BLR and want to have a backup plan in case I change my mind.

What I'm debating is a Browning Abolt in a 7mag and a Winchester 70 Featherweight in a 3006.

I like the 7mag better than the 06 (both are "bang flop" deer rounds but the 7mag is by far the harder hitting round in 150gr bullets), but I like the Winchester better than the Browning (though the A-bolt is starting to grow on me more than it has in the past).

Now I do have a Savage 7mag with a synthetic stock on it and I would likely use the Savage in the event of rain, the likelihood of banging up a good wood stock, or to let my brother use if he's hunting with me.
So I could bring both guns with me at any time and not worry about ammo because they could shoot the same box.

What are your thoughts on having multiple rifles with the same cartridge?
I like the idea and mine overlap, I have a bolt action .30-06, a 12ga pump and a U/O 12ga/.30-06. That being said the U/O is a hundred yard gun at best with any ammo, so its not a big deal to shoot ammo loaded for the bolt in it so long as I full length re-size my brass. For you, two different bolt action rifles are likely not going to shoot the same ammo well.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I usually only get rifles in the same caliber if it's for collecting purposes. Other than that, It doesn't influence me.
ErikO wrote:I'm hoping to get an SVT-40 at some point, so 'same' gets my vote as well, with the stipulation about keeping brass sorted as per Mason's above comment.
If/when you do, check the gas piston and cup to make sure the piston isn't eroded. If it is, you need to find a new one. They are super fun rifles and if it wasn't going to be so cold this weekend I'd shoot mine. :mrgreen:
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

For hunting, i think keeping two rifles in the same caliber handy is a great plan. If one gets dropped, you grab the other instead of losing a day of hunting. Friend wants to go along? Your second rifle is ready to go. I shoot factory core-lokt loads, and have yet to own a decent rifle that wouldn't shoot "minute of deer" with even the cheap stuff.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

I think it depends heavily on the caliber and applications.

22lr, 5.56, 22mag, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r. There are very different rifles within those calibers. Light weight field guns, bench rifles, lever guns, semi autos, etc.

I can also see some configurations of the same caliber to be very different rifles. A 30-06 meant for long hikes in thick woods is going to be a different beast than a 30-06 that you use for hunting game at 300+ yards.

I could see myself owning an accurate bolt-action paper-puncher in 5.56 and also a semi-auto carbine for sub-100 yard plinking. There are also two or three 44 mag rifles I'd like to own (Circuit Judge, Deerfield Carbine, Model 92).

Oh, Fukshot makes a good point. Reload? Then it's easier to have a "fleet" of the same caliber, especially if you're willing to hoard primers and cast bullets. Buy off-the-shelf? You gotta diversify.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

M4Builder wrote:I usually only get rifles in the same caliber if it's for collecting purposes. Other than that, It doesn't influence me.
ErikO wrote:I'm hoping to get an SVT-40 at some point, so 'same' gets my vote as well, with the stipulation about keeping brass sorted as per Mason's above comment.
If/when you do, check the gas piston and cup to make sure the piston isn't eroded. If it is, you need to find a new one. They are super fun rifles and if it wasn't going to be so cold this weekend I'd shoot mine. :mrgreen:
Gas pistons I can get. If I had a spare grand, I'd have a rifle. :lol: I got full-length dies, so either way I'm ok. :)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

That ain't nothin' compared to some of the Mosin and Mauser collectors I've seen. :-)

To curtism1234's situation, whether you reload or not, you might as well go for both 7mm Rem Mag and the .30-06. Remember, both rounds are very popular, so neither ammo nor brass is really going to be much of an issue. However, if you're thinking of a "backup" plan, this can help. Say one cartridge is scarce and the other's not. You're more likely to be covered. Most places have 7mm RM in stock, given its notable popularity, but *EVERYONE* has .30-06. Also, segregating brass by specific rifle, since we're talking about two bolt-actions, becomes very simple.

Winchester M70's are mighty fine rifles, and variety is the spice of life. So, have one of each.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Ammo sharing did influence my early rifle purchases. I chose a Weatherby bolt rifle chambered in .30-06 with the idea that I would later be getting an M1 Garand.

However, in practice, I keep and shoot different cartridges for the two rifles. So, other than a SHTF-type situation, they won't likely share the same ammo.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Because I reload and neck size only for each specific rifle, having two rifles of the same caliber is the same as having two rifles of different calibers for me. I can't interchange the cartridges as they won't fit in both rifles. For example, I have two 8x57 Mausers and two 6.5x55 Swedes, yet it is the equivalent of having four different calibers as far as cartridge interchangeability goes.
xvigauge