Ballistic tips for thin skin big game?

Since I am getting a new 308win rifle, I need to figure out what ammunition to try. Ordinarily I would just buy PowerPoints, set it 2" high at 100, and be done with it; but I'm not that thrilled with the 308's ballistics over 300 yards. I know ballistic tip bullets cut down dramatically on wind drift and drop.

That being said, I don't know a darn thing about ballistic tips :smart:
What would be a good ballistic tip bullet for game such as whitetail deer, black bear, and hogs? Or is there a bullet tough enough for elk that still makes a deer go bang-flop?

I want something that has a reputation for consistency and expands rapidly yet will hold together enough to exit (something that is critical on bear) after hitting bone?

Any suggestions on a specific bullet?
Thanks

Re: Ballistic tips for thin skin big game?

Mason wrote:That's an awfully tall order for one bullet/load. Maybe a press and some dies are in your future.
Eh, scratch the thick skinned game like elk. A 180gr partition would be the do all, but those aren't ballistic tips.

Let's see if we can stick to deer, hogs, and black bear size animals.

I am reading some decent things about the Accubond. Seems like they might be enough for some expansion and a heavy backbone to plow through.

Thanks.

On the topic, I buy Hornady 165 gr BTSP for my -06 hunting ammo. I don't think that the ballistic tips do much except in specific cases - they're GREAT for lever actions for example. But for me, in Wisconsin, they'd only add expense.

Picked up some 165 grain cast lead bullets for plinking too. Probably load them up with my Trail Boss.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

At 300 yards, accuracy is everything. If you can't reliably hit the kill zone at that distance, the type bullet you used doesn't matter. Pick something you and your rifle can reliably ring a 300 yard gong.

If you hit your target, but miss the kill zone, a lot of bad stuff is going to happen:
1) Follow-up shot at that range on a wounded animal is going to be impossible
2) The animal is probably going to be in for a painful end
3) You'll probably ruin the meat once that thing starts pumping adrenaline
4) You're going to be hiking/running a lot to track your animal

Just like self defense, pick something you shoot well in real life over something that performs well on paper. If you shoot several things equally well, THEN start crunching numbers.

But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

For as wide open as Wyoming is, I have been made to believe by the natives that most of the kill shots are <100yds and I have a range here in FL that I can shoot up to 200yds.

The biggest problem I think I'll experience is breathing. I think everyone at the range will think im crazy but I'm going to set up all of my gear, then sprint around the parking lot a few times, and try to shoot straight under pulmonary distress.

While trying to take out a few chucks last week in the big horns, I noted it took me a good 20-30 second to get my breathing right after having marched across the meadow and up the hill to get a shot at the chuck. I don't think I'll have that kind of time to get situated if I come across an elk.

Breathing is different at 6000' than it is at 8'
E pluribus unum

edfromnj wrote:For as wide open as Wyoming is, I have been made to believe by the natives that most of the kill shots are <100yds and I have a range here in FL that I can shoot up to 200yds.

The biggest problem I think I'll experience is breathing. I think everyone at the range will think im crazy but I'm going to set up all of my gear, then sprint around the parking lot a few times, and try to shoot straight under pulmonary distress.

While trying to take out a few chucks last week in the big horns, I noted it took me a good 20-30 second to get my breathing right after having marched across the meadow and up the hill to get a shot at the chuck. I don't think I'll have that kind of time to get situated if I come across an elk.

I've been out to Wyoming antelope hunting 3 times. Shots were normally in the 200-250 yard range, though my dad shot one with the 30-06 at 425.
The wind always seems to be blowing over 20mph...

I do not recall breathing being an issue, but that was 15 years ago :laugh: and we laid there and watched them for a minute or so before the shot.

Good luck.

curtism1234 wrote:
edfromnj wrote:For as wide open as Wyoming is, I have been made to believe by the natives that most of the kill shots are <100yds and I have a range here in FL that I can shoot up to 200yds.

I've been out to Wyoming antelope hunting 3 times. Shots were normally in the 200-250 yard range, though my dad shot one with the 30-06 at 425.
The wind always seems to be blowing over 20mph...

I do not recall breathing being an issue, but that was 15 years ago :laugh: and we laid there and watched them for a minute or so before the shot.

Good luck.
Curtism, antelope are at lower altitude than elk, generally, and I was chuck hunting/scouting my zone where I drew, which is at about 6000' average.

From what I understand, this is going to be a spot/stalk hunt through rough terrain. There will be horse back riding, dismounting, and trekking with gear.

I am in pretty good shape as a soccer player, but I never really had to take a shot (less for goals, but ya know...) after exerting myself.

I'm going to try the run at the range thing. Hope I can get in the shape I need to be in.
E pluribus unum