Re: How do I clean the shot out of a dove?

Ahem. In my neck of the woods they are called Mourning Doves, and we don't hunt them.

There are various explanations for this restraint, e.g. they are cute, and/or they sound like they got enough problems already. But my take is - they don't bunch up, and it takes a passel of them to make a meal. Gotta be better uses for the powder and shot.
The universe - is what it is.

hillman wrote:Ahem. In my neck of the woods they are called Mourning Doves, and we don't hunt them.

There are various explanations for this restraint, e.g. they are cute, and/or they sound like they got enough problems already. But my take is - they don't bunch up, and it takes a passel of them to make a meal. Gotta be better uses for the powder and shot.

What are you talking about? Maybe up there where there is no dove season you have no choice. But down here in the glorious sunny south, dove hunting is an institution and a tradition that a yankee just would not understand. Some of us actually live for dove season. In fact, I would refuse to live in any state that does not have a dove season.
xvigauge

xvigauge wrote:
hillman wrote:Ahem. In my neck of the woods they are called Mourning Doves, and we don't hunt them.

What are you talking about? Maybe up there where there is no dove season you have no choice. But down here in the glorious sunny south, dove hunting is an institution and a tradition that a yankee just would not understand. Some of us actually live for dove season. In fact, I would refuse to live in any state that does not have a dove season.
xvigauge
:D Vermont is in the latitudes where the doves nest and raise young. To this end they do not appear in flocks, rather as couples only. If you wish, you may regard us northerners as abstaining from dove hunting so that you southerners may enjoy them. Hey, us Yanks must be good for something.
The universe - is what it is.