Re: How do I clean the shot out of a dove?

Short answer: It's a pain in the arse

Long answer:

We've used magnets for getting shot out of ducks/pheasant. You can also manually inspect the birds by pressing on the meat to see if any shot is present.

Failing that, throw everything into a stew pot and wait for the meat to render off the bones. The shot can be plucked from the bottom of the pot.
LGC Texas - Vice President

My grandfather used to just hand the birds to my grandmother. He found that this was the easiest way for him. ;)

She complained as she cleaned them and as a kid I would try to find the pellets on the kitchen floor listening for the bounce on the linoleum. Lead, food, and children. Those were the days.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

MetalSlugIV wrote:Wow even if lead shot was legal for me to use I'd rather not risk eating lead. Steel shot sounds like a good idea all around.
You would much rather bite lead than steel, believe me. They both suck if you bite hard but steel extra sucks.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

MetalSlugIV wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Use a neodymium magnet like this one. I assure you, it'll pull out any shot, just keep anything ferrous well and clear of it when doing so. I recommend outside on a wooden/plastic cutting board.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DCC
Have you tried this? What size should I buy?
We usedthe grammar school style horseshoe magnets, so those should work even better.

As it's going to used for food-contact surfaces, you might want to get a plastic-coated one so you can properly scrub/sanitize it after each use.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... =DC6PC-RED

MetalSlugIV wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Use a neodymium magnet like this one. I assure you, it'll pull out any shot, just keep anything ferrous well and clear of it when doing so. I recommend outside on a wooden/plastic cutting board.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DCC
Have you tried this? What size should I buy?
We usedthe grammar school style horseshoe magnets, so those should work even better.

As it's going to used for food-contact surfaces, you might want to get a plastic-coated one so you can properly scrub/sanitize it after each use.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... =DC6PC-RED

curtism1234 wrote:All you get out of them are 2 little pieces of boneless breast about 1/2" thick (if that) and 2" long (if that). It's pretty easy to look for signs of pellet entry and dig around.
I have never hunted Dove with a shotgun but I gotta agree with this statement. You'll be needing some bacon and a grill...
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:All you get out of them are 2 little pieces of boneless breast about 1/2" thick (if that) and 2" long (if that). It's pretty easy to look for signs of pellet entry and dig around.
I have never hunted Dove with a shotgun but I gotta agree with this statement. You'll be needing some bacon and a grill...
And about 30 of them to make a meal
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
Mason wrote:
Yeah I know you don't get a lot of meat but I heard they are mighty tasty.
"Let's be honest the only people who read Ayn Rand are 16 year olds and assholes"

MetalSlugIV wrote:
shinzen wrote:
Mason wrote:
Yeah I know you don't get a lot of meat but I heard they are mighty tasty.
I'd rather be shooting squirrels out of hickory trees with the 22 in September. It takes a lot of doves to equal a couple squirrels :thumbup:

Not to mention public land around here is a three ring circus with people standing shoulder to shoulder circling all the way around the field shooting at each other. :ohmg:

Seriously, I have never found it to be a problem with doves. I usually never find more than a pellet or two in them and most will have no pellets as in most cases, the pellets go right through them, even small number 8 shot. They are not tough birds at all and I only use my hands to clean them. Their head, feet, and wings will twist right off; then, just pull the breast off and you are done.
xvigauge

What he said. It really wont be much of a problem. More so with a straight on shot, since the breast gets the brunt. If there is shot in the breast, its pretty easy to see the entry and check for a pellet. We used to go to our local tavern after hunting on the owners land. His cook would take the cleaned breasts and make the best dove nachos. The secret was putting them in a shallow pan with red wine and cooking them quickly in the oven. They will dry out fast, unless you add BACON!
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...