Best #7 Steel Shot For Dove?

I went to the range last week to break in my new CZ 912. It at all the old #9 cheap target loads I had. I was pretty happy with that. Now I need to buy some steel shot and pattern it before dove season.

I've seen Winchester Super X steel shot on Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290028 ... steel-shot Anyone try this stuff before? Some people say that steel shot patterns like crap. Some say it works fine. Anyone have some tips on a brand I should keep my eye on?
"Let's be honest the only people who read Ayn Rand are 16 year olds and assholes"

Re: Best #7 Steel Shot For Dove?

I just got a box of the Winchester # 6 steel shot, I haven't patterned it yet, but I have a fixed modified choke. I am going with
#6 steel for dove so i can maintain a the same stopping power at distance with the reduced weight of steel shot.

If you have changeable chokes go with either modified or IC and you will be fine, never full choke. Steel Shot patterns tighter than lead, if I had a choice, I would go for IC.

Hope this helps.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I have used the Winchester brand of #7 steel shot that the OP mentioned on snipe and it really hammers them. I use it with the skeet and modified chokes in my 20 gauge Browning Citori. It should be great ammo for doves. So far, we are not required to use non-toxic shot where I hunt doves, but that's what I would use if we were required to use steel.
xvigauge

foghorn wrote:Unless it has changed from last year, steel shot is only required when hunting ducks, geese or coots. The 2014-15 regs have not been released, but here is last season's.
http://myfwc.com/media/2623073/Migrator ... ations.pdf

So I think you have a choice to use non-toxic or not.

This is generally true, however, some specific areas such as some (but not all) Wildlife Management Areas in some states require non-toxic shot no matter what you are hunting. One has to check the specific local regulations. For example, in Florida non-toxic shot is required for ducks, geese, and coots only, however, the T.M. Goodwin WMA requires non-toxic shot for all hunting including snipe.
xvigauge

There is no state wide ban on lead shot for doves in MO but there are MDC run areas that require non toxic shot. I couldn't find out if the one I plan on hunting in was one of them so I just went with the Winchester anyway. I now have 500 shells waiting in my living room for the start of the season! :yahoo:
"Let's be honest the only people who read Ayn Rand are 16 year olds and assholes"

curtism1234 wrote:Steel shot may be slower than lead loads (so many different speeds out there) so you may be leading more.

Actually, steel shot velocity is much faster than lead. It has to be in order to have any killing power equivalent to lead. As a result, steel shot requires less lead in theory, but in practice actual lead has too many variables that come into play. The main thing is to be out in front of a crossing bird no matter what type of shells you are using.
xvigauge

I really need to pattern this thing. I never got the chance before season started. My father and I just went to the informal shotgun range and busted a box of clays to warm up before heading to the field. Maybe a formal patterning will help. I have the IC choke screwed in and I'm still using the #7 Winchester steel shot I bought.