Re: Hogs ain't docile

A friend of mine hunts hogs in Northern California with an M1 Carbine. There's a lot to be said for a semi-auto when going up against an animal that's likely to charge you.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

In many parts of the country, feral hogs are considered a nuisance and there is open season and no limit. Hunt away but take the proper weapon: combination hog rifle and boar spear :lol:

Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

Elmo wrote:Yeah, Mosin-Nagant with its spike bayonet could be a good choice.

PPU makes soft point hunting ammo for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773893 ... -box-of-20

Swinging that thing in heavy brush might be an issue, however.
That's the carbine (M44) so it wouldn't be that tough. I do have a few boxes of PPU 180 gr SP. :D
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

SKS is a great choice, especially with the rear peep sight.

The old Ruger 44mag semi-auto rifles (Deerslayer and earlier model) are also highly praised as hog guns. Very handy length-wise and 5 rounds of 44 mag as fast as you can pull the trigger is nice.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

We went twice once with handguns and the second time with recurve bows. The second time the hog when hit decided to run towards where the noise came from. Bears even run away from noise. I never ran so fast in my life.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled