deer hunting

The last few years I have posted a few threads about hunting. This year I have moved out in the sticks in a different hunting zone. I have a good friend that I have been hunting with in an area that is no country for old men, we have set up a deer camp with campers and over the years a couple of the regulars have died and I felt it was important for me to hunt with Lyle. This summer I told him this was going to be the last time because of my new place and that next year he could hunt with me on my land if he wished, he said no hard feelings and understood but was very happy that I was going too keep our tradition alive for one more year. It was very obvious to me from opening day that the area we were hunting had zero bucks and this year it is bucks only, the weather was uncomfortable and nothing was moving, I came home yesterday in the middle of our first snow storm of the year after seeing nothing of interest other than 3 different types of woodpeckers grouse and a lot of timberwolf sign. Time changes and this one is kind of hard both for me and most especially for Lyle. This morning while drinking coffee in my living room before going out to blow out my 100yd driveway I saw a very nice buck run across my land about 60 yards from my house. My wife and I laughed so hard we could of peed our pants. I of course can't hunt on my land because I declared for a different hunting zone.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: deer hunting

Mason wrote:I was out this morning. Nothing. Very little sign. Fourth outing this season.

Gotta grill fish...
Are you hunting muzzle loader or regular firearms? Plu when I left camp each morning it was around 15 deg. whats your weather like?
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

There were places in southern MO that switched to buck only after the deer were all killed off. It took 5-10 years but that same ground now is one of the better areas in the south. With proper management, things do go full circle.

Opening day of rifle in MO is Saturday...and of course I'm getting sick :sick: :sick: :sick:

Hopefully this will pass over in a couple days

eelj wrote:
Mason wrote:I was out this morning. Nothing. Very little sign. Fourth outing this season.

Gotta grill fish...
Are you hunting muzzle loader or regular firearms? Plu when I left camp each morning it was around 15 deg. whats your weather like?
Muzzle loader as always. Weather is warm -50's but I still need my heavy gear to sit in the stand due to cold wind off the Atlantic or Chesapeake bay. General firearms opens this Saturday but I'll still be hunting ML as its preferable to shotgun for me.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Rem222 wrote:Havested my first deer this year,an 8 point. Was out about 45 minutes Sunday morning. While walking back to get the truck, ran into a nice sized doe. I let her off the hook this time.

James
Congrats

Two deer are a handful at one time unless you can drive right up to them. Then you hope it's cool enough to hang till you get around to them, unless you drop them off at the processor.

curtism1234 wrote:
Rem222 wrote:Havested my first deer this year,an 8 point. Was out about 45 minutes Sunday morning. While walking back to get the truck, ran into a nice sized doe. I let her off the hook this time.

James
Congrats

Two deer are a handful at one time unless you can drive right up to them. Then you hope it's cool enough to hang till you get around to them, unless you drop them off at the processor.
Thanks

One at a time is enough work. The wife and I are the processors.

James

I'd like to process my own deer when the time comes. But in Coastal california you are S>O>L> unless you happen to have a walk in cooler at your disposal.

I did find a game processor in Elk Grove. Seemed like a nice guy and i look forward to using his services next season, or if a hog crosses my path in the meantime..

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:I'd like to process my own deer when the time comes. But in Coastal california you are S>O>L> unless you happen to have a walk in cooler at your disposal.

I did find a game processor in Elk Grove. Seemed like a nice guy and i look forward to using his services next season, or if a hog crosses my path in the meantime..

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
If you have a camper with a fridge or a beer fridge you can quarter a deer quickly and fridge age it. I can get a good sized buck, broken down, into my camper fridge which is a little bigger than a dorm fridge. Then, when its good and cold, you can take it out piece by piece, break it down to the individual cuts and freeze it.

Cold aging for at least a week is important. I have never had venison from a processor that tasted like it was handled with care - they cut it up and freeze it as fast as possible which leads to nasty tasting venison.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I have a half fridge in my basement, so I will try that out! If i quarter it in the field to fit into an ice chest with a double bagged block of ice or 2 for the ride home i'm most of the way there i suppose.

I'd like to give it a week or 2 to age.

Thanks!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.