Re: Game meat lead poisoning

It's an ongoing debate. This is a 5- or 6-year-old article from Outdoor Life. My father hunted pheasant back in the 60's and you had to chew carefully lest you bite hard into a shotgun pellet. We never considered the lead risk back then. I'm not sure what to make of the debate, but I don't eat much meat anymore, so it's a moot point.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hun ... -your-meat
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

A couple of friends of mine have switched over to solid copper only for actually hunting now because of this. Still use standard cartridges for most of their range fun though.

The main argument I've heard against using non lead bullets for hunting is cost. Copper bullets are still only a couple/few of dollars each instead of a dollar or two so... If you only fire one or two shots and get 50lbs+ of meat, what does that work out to per pound? Given that there is literally NO MEDICALLY SAFE LEVEL OF LEAD IN THE HUMAN BODY, what is that little piece of mind worth to your family? I grew up poor, and am a real cheapskate, but I'd spring for the extra, what $20-30/year to eliminate one more way for my family to become poisoned.

Is that the scare tactic you refer to?
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Also, a skeet range near me had to spend vast amounts of dough to clean up a wetland nature preserve that their shots were landing on and measurably polluting... They decided to disallow lead on their shotgun areas after.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

That lead shot is with you - inside the alimentary canal - for a limited time. The intestines are pretty good at containing their processes, too. My guess is that the effects of ingesting an occasional lead shot will mess you up, by the time you live to 137 or so. If you are at all lucky, the plutocrats will arrange a general working class euthanasia program at, say, 70; so there's nothing to worry about, eh?
The universe - is what it is.