So I dropped my rifle...

So I dropped my rifle out of my tree stand this morning! I've never done that before, although I gather that it happens commonly. I stood up to wiggle my cold toes and had the butt on the shooting bar, or so I thought. It must have been right on the edge. I brought my binoculars down just in time to see as well as feel it falling out of my cold, gloved hand. It fell straight down, butt first and landed square on the the recoil pad, then slowly fell over. I was hunting, as usual, with my muzzle loader - I was left with the ram rod in my hand. It took me five minutes to calm my giggling enough to safely climb down and pick it up.

My rifle is very safe and can't fire unless the hammer is cocked and the trigger is pulled. Its a good Nikon scope in Leopold rings. Since it landed butt down I think it'll still shoot straight. Its been leaned against trucks/trees/fences, etc and fallen over enough times and still shoots straight with no adjustments.

Didn't see, let alone kill a deer but did hunt and then have a long, late breakfast with an old hunting buddy. A fine morning in the woods. :D
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: So I dropped my rifle...

Mason wrote:A fine morning in the woods. :D
...any morning in the woods is a fine morning (you are so lucky!). Remember the old German saying:

A dog in a kennel barks at his fleas -- a hunting dog does not feel them.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

Mason wrote: Its been leaned against trucks/trees/fences, etc and fallen over enough times and still shoots straight with no adjustments.
As I've told countless recruits over the years, NEVER lean your rifle against something if you can lay it down instead. It's not going to fall over if it's already on the ground... :laugh:

I wouldn't take the chance on a deer without checking zero first after a fall like that.

Who says if Daniel coulda he wouldn't have sported glass?

The mounts Leopold QR, and there are Williams fiber optics underneath. Or I can just hunt the rest of the season with my shotgun.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

AmirMortal wrote::roflmao: See and y'all made fun of that stupid video I sent along a few years ago. If you'd had it tied off...
Any more I can't work at any height above about 6' without tying everything off or having a broad, secure work surface. I've seen too much shit fall out of people's pockets or from non-locking carabiners on their harnesses.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

brandonsmash wrote:
AmirMortal wrote::roflmao: See and y'all made fun of that stupid video I sent along a few years ago. If you'd had it tied off...
Any more I can't work at any height above about 6' without tying everything off or having a broad, secure work surface. I've seen too much shit fall out of people's pockets or from non-locking carabiners on their harnesses.
Same here man.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter