Re: Petition to ban using dogs for boar hunting

I dunno. Hog hunting's not my cup of tea, but I don't have a problem with using dogs to track them. The petition's author seems to assume dogs themselves are often used for the kills, which I doubt is the case. Hunting dogs are a considerable investment to their owners and are used to not just track game, but also keep the hunted animal at bay until they can be properly dispatched. Granted, hog hunting draws some cruel participants, notably those who hunt wild hogs with knives or the noveau riche like Ted Nugent who hunt from helicopters. From what I gather, hogs are very difficult to track and dogs help legit hunters as well.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

senorgrand wrote:...but this "Thunderdome" idea of two quadrapeds enter, one leaves seems a little far fetched.
Not to the dirtbags around here who raise fighting dogs. There are some cruel fvcks out there, especially when you get into the boonies in these here parts. The hog hunters who get me are the one in it for the knife kills. Cali has its share.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

Feral pigs pose a positive danger to cattle, crops, ground cover, etc., you name it. They cause billions of dollars of damage every year - Florida and Texas are infested with them. They are hard to hunt (breed like rabbits) and they can surprise you in the brush and mess you up pretty good. A dog is a positive safety device - trust me. Plus, what the others said, dogs are used to locate and hold the pig. Dogs (mostly hounds or curs) definitely are not meant to fight with a 200+ lb pound animal with razor sharp tusks- that is a losing game and anyone with a dog knows that.

Feral pigs are also an example of what happens when you add things to an ecosystem that do not belong. We are very concerned here in Virginia that they will migrate northwards from NC and SC and you can hunt the damn things any time you want with whatever you want. If a farmer has a pig escape and go feral he becomes super unpopular with his neighbors - you should see what they can do to the ground or a calf. They also turn feral ever so quick - it is just uncanny how their appearance changes.

GeorgiaRN wrote:Hog hunting in South Georgia is not really "hunting." It is pest-control. Wild hogs can decimate crops very quickly.

This is not "hunting." If I was not aware of the damage they do, I would not support it.
Same here in Texas. You can hunt them year round, around the clock with any legal weapons, vehicles and devices because they ARE a serious threat to the ecosystem and to farming.

Personally I would only hunt hogs with my dog if he was on leash, just for tracking. He's Family and I wouldn't risk his safety.

I have hunted wild hogs over dogs several times. The dog does not kill the pig. It actually involves several dogs and usually multiple breeds. In my experiance the pigs were tracked with hounds. They picked up the scent and ran after the pigs. The guys I was with who owned the dogs followed with pit bulls on leads. You definatly got your exercise chasing the pig/dogs. Eventually the dogs would get the pig cornered and the hounds being smart didnt get close enough to the pig to get hurt. Then the pit bulls wearing kevlar vests and neck protectors were let go. First I have to tell you the pit bulls knew it was go time and were exited and pulling on the leashes. When they were let go they hit the pigs at full clip and went for the pigs neck. So while the pig/dogs are turning in circles you get close enough to take a shot. Its a long day and can be both terrifiying and fun at the same time. The funny thing is that I asked about the temperment of the pit bulls and one of the guys said the hounds sleep out in his kennel and the pits sleep on his kids bed. Hunting with dogs is just another tool like a gun or optic. Wild pigs are distructive nasty creatures that also are a good tasty food source. You have to remember in some places they are competing with game animals that provide a huge influx of money into the local economies come hunting season.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

Dunce wrote:
pauliejw wrote:
DispositionMatrix wrote:
mahkagari wrote:Number one is the confusion of the words "bay" and "bait".
More likely deliberate conflation than "confusion."
Last week I took down a 278 lb. boar with a toothpick whilst wearing a loincloth. The loincloth was on me, not the boar. I don't even like bacon.
What was the boar doing with a toothpick?
He was trying to strangle me with his loincloth.

Tcejop wrote:We hunt hogs year round and use dogs. We have a bay dog and several catch dogs to keep them there until we catch up. All of our dogs are well cared for and all wear Kevlar vests for protection. We kill 350 to 400 pigs per year and have the meat processed and donated to the needy. We only keep what we can eat and donate the rest.
Wow! That's a lot of pigs. Your process sounds very responsible and the way hunting should be done (imho).

Here in Virginia, the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries doesn't recommend hog hunting as a sport under the reasoning that it encourages people to release swine into the wild and encourages people to cultivate swine for this purpose. They have data and experience to back up this recommendation. It seems that there are a lot of irresponsible actors out there.

Hunting swine as a pest animal seems like a worthwhile pursuit. Sucks for the pigs though...

senorgrand wrote:I believe all other hunting with dogs was banned before on the auspices that it was inhumane. Bears and bobcats probably were exempted because they were considered dangerous. Mountain lions cannot be hunted at all because of a 1990 ballot measure.
Some animals are too cool to kill for sport: elephants, mountain lions, bobcats, rhino and that new frog they found looks like Kermit.

http://www.today.com/pets/kermit-newfou ... iar-t16211

senorgrand wrote:I believe all other hunting with dogs was banned before on the auspices that it was inhumane. Bears and bobcats probably were exempted because they were considered dangerous. Mountain lions cannot be hunted at all because of a 1990 ballot measure.
Not only can't they be hunted, but their pelts can't be brought into the state if hunted elsewhere. Or so I'm told.