Pig hunting in Northern California

An older article, but came across it since I'm looking to get out in the next 6 months for my first pig hunt.

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/ho ... id=2135599
For years, Northern California and the Bay Area have proudly flown the flag of epicurean hedonism, leading the nation in wine production and nouveau cuisine. Even in this merlot-soaked, fresh-organic-ingredients milieu, where great chefs are treated like celebrities, it is seldom noted that the region boasts another little-known gastronomic piece de resistance -- the feral pig.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Pig hunting in Northern California

Damn. So guess the SKS is out as is the VZ-58. Was hoping I could get away with a rifle I have, as the Mosin is not something I'm lugging into the field, nor is the Garand. Even though CA doesn't mandate a caliber, I definitely don't want an inhumane hunt.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Definitely spendy, but I would get it instead of the M1A that I'd been considering for plinking. Would be a fine long range rifle as well as a solid hunting rifle. Not sure I'm in love with the blue, but it's been growing on me.
- Maya Angelou

Crap you're right. I must have been thinking about the BAR with weight, the fnar is 9lbs, not 7. Not so concerned with the sling swivels, those are easy enough to add, but the weight makes it a deal breaker

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
- Maya Angelou

Wait, you said you have a Garand, Shinzen? That seems like a great choice for hogs.

If I try hog hunting someday, and I might, I'd go with either my M1A, which can be scoped, or M1 Garand with 150 gr SP ammo like this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1584554

Sure the loaded Garand is hefty at about 11 lbs, but our fathers and grandfathers carried them all through Europe...

I have a gas plug like this in my Garand, which might make it slightly safer to shoot commercial ammo like the above..

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Yeah, I thought about the old war horse, as it's certainly capable of doing the job, just wasn't looking forward to lugging the old beast all over the place. I've got the same gas plug in mine, I think you might have recommended it to me originally. It's already paid for itself when I forgot ammo at the meet in the middle last year. However, I'm not 100% confident in my ability with the Garand at 150 yards and irons sights. Humane is important. I need to practice more if I'm going to give that a go for sure. (Oh darn, more practice. Breaks my heart. I should go do another Appleseed) I know with a scope I'd be good to go. That's easy.
- Maya Angelou

For a hunting weapon the last thing in the world I worry about is how much it is going to kick. I like a rifle that is comfortable for a day in the field and I of course prefer them to be a bolt action. 3 round capacity is plenty and I don't even feel the need to carry spare ammo. When shooting at your quarry you will be oblivious to the recoil but after a few hours you will be very much aware of the weight.

After much debate, I've decided to go lego. Since I already have a very high quality AR lower, I'm going to go with a carbon fiber handguard on a side charging 6.5 Grendel. Has really good terminal performance, 1200 ft/lbs out to 300 yards, and with the 144gr bullet, and a nice flat trajectory. I've already got a Nikon scope sitting around so will get me in for less than some of the other options I've been considering, and there's no question about it handling the bigger hogs.
- Maya Angelou

Sounds good! I think there are a few of us that are interested. I'm thinking a guided hunt might be the way to go the first time, just to get a feel for it.

As far as a link, no. Building it with assorted parts I placed on order this weekend. I went with an American Spirit Arms side charger, Shilen Barrel, carbon fiber handguard, and syrac gas block. I've already got the Nikon for the optics and I'll just toss it on my existing lower instead of getting a whole new one :D

Should weigh a bit less than some of the other options I was considering, and costs less than at least two of the rifles I was looking at. The plus side is that it should also be a pretty snazzy long range shooter.
- Maya Angelou

Ok. Build is complete. Just as a side note, the upper is not compatible with a Magpul BAD lever, which is definitely lame. I'll have to order a Phase 5 lever instead. Like most AR/Lego construction, it went pretty smoothly, and even with the carbon fiber handguard, with the scope it's still weighing in right at 10lbs. Part of that is scope, the other part is the heavier profile of the Shilen barrel. I perhaps should have gone with a fluted barrel and lighter profile to shave a pound or two.
IMG_20151111_103654029.jpg
IMG_20151111_103632755.jpg
- Maya Angelou

with the scope it's still weighing in right at 10lbs
I'm thinking a nice bolt gun in -preferred suitable caliber here- with a 1-4 scope would weigh in around seven, cost about the same and carry a whole lot nicer. That's just experience talking, though.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese