another opener thread

I will be walking out the door in an hour, just a 100 yd stalk into woods behind my house. If I get one since I still have all of my canning equipment out in the kitchen I will be processing canned venison in less than a week.

This year is a hunters choice season, so if I see a doe it's down, this could be my last season for hunting with my old Springfield.

The weather is perfect, fresh snow plus more to come and this afternoon turning to rain, deer move in those conditions plus the woods are quiet.

Re: another opener thread

You may have a little snow to work with. Good luck. Don't forget the joys of venison sausage. If you have a good butcher shop, the frequently will make and stuff sausage for you-they can even provide the pork fat.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Re: another opener thread

The most interesting experience today was the owl that I listened to before sunrise. Didn't even see any finches or jays, just a few ravens and they weren't very happy with no piles of offal to feed on. Very wet and sloppy by 1000hours, actually saw a little spider walking across the snow, no sign of the rut.

It's a long season.