Re: .50 BMG + Deer

eelj wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 pm I also consider head and neck shots as stupid, to great a chance for wounding a deer and losing it.
Particularly stupid when using a .50 BMG! Shooting a deer with a .223 or less? Maybe a head shot would make a little sense, since IF you hit the brain you get a quick kill with a light round.

I don't get it. From that angle, it looks to me like he could have taken a heart shot and spoiled little meat, if that was the concern. Might have made a hell of a mess of the viscera, though.

This whole project seems stupid, but if you're going to shoot a small deer with a big fucking gun, why are you NOT trying to ruin the carcass? Have a real dumb laugh over it? :ras:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:45 am I don't get it. From that angle, it looks to me like he could have taken a heart shot and spoiled little meat, if that was the concern. Might have made a hell of a mess of the viscera, though.
I'm thinking I'm glad he went for the head.

AndyH wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:53 pm Snipped for brevity.
Welp, this shows how much I really know about 50. BMG and hunting in general. Normally I'm not a big fan of the idea of stands, not from ethics, but from a sitting around and waiting angle. Granted when you have a 20 lb rifle and a ton of gear, I don't think hiking sounds fun either. Having a better angle though makes sense. I didn't see the bullet impact anything except the deer personally but I tunnel vision pretty bad and would rather not watch the video again so I'll take your word for it.

I really need to stop posting arguments before I know all the facts but I learn so much better through discourse because I miss so much information otherwise... :see_stars:
Buck13 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:45 am
eelj wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 pm I also consider head and neck shots as stupid, to great a chance for wounding a deer and losing it.
Particularly stupid when using a .50 BMG! Shooting a deer with a .223 or less? Maybe a head shot would make a little sense, since IF you hit the brain you get a quick kill with a light round.

I don't get it. From that angle, it looks to me like he could have taken a heart shot and spoiled little meat, if that was the concern. Might have made a hell of a mess of the viscera, though.

This whole project seems stupid, but if you're going to shoot a small deer with a big fucking gun, why are you NOT trying to ruin the carcass? Have a real dumb laugh over it? :ras:
Making a mess of a carcass would attract a lot more bugs and carrion eaters making a whole new problem. Having easy clean up from a smaller hole makes life a lot easier and less of a nuisance on private land and less chance of issues with hunting laws on public land. Unless I'm missing the sarcasm and the joke. :confused:

BillMcD wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:08 am Normally I'm not a big fan of the idea of stands, not from ethics, but from a sitting around and waiting angle.... I learn so much better through discourse...
I hear ya. I figured I'd post a quick video that might remind people of the silly feeling they had the first time they fired a Barett and leave it at that. I learned a lot too!

My in-law's have a serious deer overpopulation problem in their area, and it's making it hard for the oaks to recover after the drought of 2010-2014. But I'm having a problem going up and killing 20 or so animals - there's no sport or 'hunting' at all. This is cell phone video from about 18 feet. At least they don't have names. :blink: